September 21, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 09:13 AM

Default Camera Choice

I am looking for advice on a decent setup for grabbing stills and photos while fishing. I fish rivers and streams, and have now dumped my second cellphone in three years into a fast moving river.
I am looking for something that is waterproof, is capable of still photos and videos with little manipulation.
I have looked at Go Pros, am I on the right path here, or are there better options? The fact that it would be attached to my body would be a plus.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-19-2018, 08:44 PM

Chief,
I have a GoPro and use it for all my hunting and fishing videos. It works very well for fishing with the head mount as the chest mount gets blocked by you arms. My suggestion is get a GoPro 3 as they are much cheaper should something bad happen. Learn how to use the loop mode. Keep your cell phone in your pocket for stills or take them off the GoPro in editing.
Gag
Old 07-20-2018, 03:34 AM

Default Camera

Hi David,
Another option - I use an Olympus TG Tough. Waterproof, bulletproof, works in all temperatures. Takes awesome pics and video. I keep it in my chest pack for easy access and have it on a lanyard in case it slips out of my hands. Lost my cell phone last week while kayak fishing for stripers in the South River near Scituate! I was using a Bluetooth fish finder connected to the phone when it tumbled out of my kayak to the bottom of the river. Luckily a cheap, three year old Android phone.
Hope all is well! Dan
Old 07-20-2018, 09:32 AM

Thanks guys, I will check both options.
Things have been well Dan, have had a really good summer with fishing up north. Lots of trout with some real good fish.
I take it sticker fishing has been good too?

David
Old 07-25-2018, 03:17 AM

Yes, good striper fishing. Less fish than last year, but still good!
Old 07-25-2018, 01:20 PM

For years I have used a Panasonic TS2. Their TS series is awesome, great photos and video, easy to use and bomber. Mine is getting pretty old now and I sometimes let my 4 year old wander around and take pics with it, as long as it's attached to his arm he can't hurt it at all. Get some funny pics that way too!

They are a lot like the Olympus option that was mentioned.

They either have just released or are planning on releasing the newest model, TS7. It looks pretty rad, there is a review posted here.
I have a gopro as well (a gopro 1 maybe, the thing is ancient), and its great for video, but I prefer the camera for pictures, you just have a bit more control over what you are getting in terms of pics.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:24 PM

I use my phone as well. Takes awesome pictures. Wife has the same phone and took pictures of the kids the other day in the water and you could literally see the water droplets. We both have IPhone 8. I would suggest putting it on a tether. They are waterproof mines been tested a couple times and has held up each and every time. One less thing you have to bring with you and one less thing to lose