September 22, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Question about fly line

I believe I already know my answer, but I was wondering is there anyway to identify line without the original box? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 AM

Hi Bbyrd,
I think that some of the new Rio lines have microprint on them, but given that you aren't sure what line it is I would expect its probably older and doesn't have that. Are you looking for manufacturer? I'm not sure if I can help with that, but things like floating/sinking, WF or DT should definitely be determinable. As far as weight, you could compare the diameter of the line to a line that you already have and see if they are similar, should give you a ballpark, then I would try to cast it and give it a guess. You'd probably be able to tell if its more than a couple line weights off of your guess.

Also, if it is on a reel and was spooled by a shop they will sometime put the line sticker on the spool, if you pull the spool off the reel you might get lucky and find a sticker.

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 07-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Like Mike said, casting it seems like the most practical. If you put the line on a 5 wt rod and it casts well for you then itís a 5 wt as far as youíre concerned. However, if you had to know exactly what it is you would have
to weigh the front 30 feet of line (excluding the level tip) and that will tell
you the line weight. Google "Standard Fly Line Weight Chart" for a chart and a good explanation. To weigh the line you could use a bakerís scale
(serious home cooks would have one) or find someone who is a serious shooter and who reloads their own ammunition. They would have a good scale as well.
A little tedious but accurate.

Good luck