November 18, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2017, 10:52 AM

Default Fishing Western White Mountains

NH native stuck in MA here.... I will be spending next weekend camping in the Warren, NH area at Wachipauka Pond. Hoping to do some fly fishing on this pond as we will be camped next to it for the weekend. Anyone have any experience fishing for trout here? It is on the remote stocking list for the NHFG. On my way home Sunday I was hoping to explore a river/stream along the way. The Baker River looks promising, but there are also so many "blue lines" in that area. Any suggestions for rivers/streams in that general area? Not looking for your honey hole just some direction as to trouty waters is that region. Thanks for the helpful advice in advance.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:07 PM

I've fished the Baker, but not the pond you mention. I've never had much success on the Baker, but I've only fished lower down, not up where you will be.

Pretty much all the small blue lines hold trout if you want to do the small stream thing.

Last edited by Gone Fishin'; 07-08-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:20 PM

I hate wachipauka pond. Apparently it has good brookies in it but I fished it 3 times last fall and landed a grand total of 1 brookie.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookieSlayah View Post
I hate wachipauka pond. Apparently it has good brookies in it but I fished it 3 times last fall and landed a grand total of 1 brookie.
Hopefully I can change your mind about that pond! I do hope the fishing is better for me than your experience has been.

Have not been able to find any good information or reviews of fishing the Baker, so it seems like the blue line adventure will occur on Sunday.

Any suggestions on fly choices for this time of year on remote ponds? I am guessing the standards are good (woolies, adams, caddis) but anything that I must carry out with me?
Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 AM

Maple Syrup was working great for me the other afternoon on a hike in pond. Let it sink deep and strip it in fast.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:29 PM

I've fished the Baker several times up near Warren and have caught some fish but not enough to say it's real good. Fished Wauchipauka twice, once caught a lot of fish and once very poor. Both late June. Action was on top the day I did well.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 PM

Wachipauka does get relatively deep (~30ft) so down in that deep spot there is probably fish, if there were to be any. I always saw loons patrolling that spot when I went but I didn't hook any fish.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Fished Wachipauka on Saturday into the evening. Was lucky enough to be wet wading while a Hex hatch got underway. That was my first and boy was it awesome to be there as the bugs were coming up and hungry trout were feeding aggressively! I had only 1 hex fly in my box, tied it on and then the fishing began. Brought one to hand and had a few others on the line.

Fished a spot on the Baker River south of Wentworth on the way home. Looked very fishy with deep and shaded water along a cut out stone bank. Couldn't entice a bite, but a great spot that I will stop at again another time. Thanks for the input from everyone. I certainly will be heading into the backcountry again to chase trout in remote ponds in NH.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:23 AM

BTown, I fished the Warren stretch of the upper baker and a couple of small streams that run off 118 last weekend.. I chased lots of small wild trout biggest one I landed was a solid 8" female brookie. After the rains they got up there the weekend before most of the smaller streams were filled... if your willing to explore you'll find some hidden gems all around that area. If you camp up in Warren stop in and see my buddy "Frank" at the bottom of Batchelder Brook road off 118, he s got plenty of camp wood and some good stories