November 19, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 PM

Default Warren NH, baker river, Moose Hillock camping

Hi, gonna find myself in warren nh at Moose Hillock for a few days camping with kids Mon-Wed.. Is the upper reaches of the baker river worth checking out? Any decent small water in the area. I will have a couple hours early each morning. Thanks
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 PM

It has cold water and is north of tilton, I'd say it's worth checking out. That, and any other stream you drive by. North baker is on my hit list soon I just haven't had the time. I will say, water is low now. Fish are very spooky. Keep in mind that if you are exploring a new place, don't be fooled by the low water. It almost certainly holds enough water most of the year for fish. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:31 PM

Thanks for reply.. I am unfamiliar with this area. I will post some kind of report on this thread when I get back..
Old 08-29-2017, 11:15 AM

The upper baker has great fishing for brook trout. The section across from the campground has many deep pools that are heavily stocked (and heavily fished) in the beginning of summer. They put some fairly large brookies and bows in there. These fish are long gone by now.
The upper portions of the baker have maintained great flow this year and don't see a lot of anglers due to the typical bushwhacking needed to access different parts of the river. Good points of entry are the warren town forest, the ravine lodge, and carriage road. Working upstream from any of these spots will get you deep in the woods and around plenty of fish. Make sure you plan an exit route because a lot of the river lies deep in a steep ravine.