February 22, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 08-15-2008, 09:18 AM

Default Are there cougars in New England?....

....and I'm not talking about that 40-something hottie down the street....

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...spot_big_cats/
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 08-15-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Beat Me To It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
....and I'm not talking about that 40-something hottie down the street....
I was all over that to, with Pics!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:30 PM

You'll probably never get an eastern state official to admit to it, even with overwhelming evidence due to the heat and cost it would cause. The typical response is that even if there are four legged cougars around, they are the result of illegal releases from "pet" owners. I've heard Michigan is in the same boat, but that may just be rural legend.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:23 PM

I have heard many many accounts of cougars in central and northern Maine, and like fly points out they are always dismissed by wildlife authorities.

Here is the way I look at it;
Growing up less than 10 miles out of Boston we frequently had Moose and Bobcats showing up in peoples back yards and vacant lots. What would happen is the animals would get onto the national power grid and travel down a couple hundred miles and pop up in the boston suburbs. People do not realize that the power grid is just like a second national highway system, you can virtually travel from one end of the country to the other without ever being seen by another person. It also goes up into Canada and Mexico.

I've always kept that in the back of my mind for when the FBI finds out my true identity and I need to go on the lamb for a while.

So could mountain loins and wolves end up where they haven't been seen in 100 years, very easily. Is that what is going on in this case. I hope so, with the price of home heating fuel this winter I could sure use a new set of mittens.

Last edited by s2ary; 08-15-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:29 PM

I have absolutely zero idea whether Cougars are around NH. I have never seen one. Does anyone know how distinctive their tracks are? What would the difference be in size/shape between say a bobcat and a cougar? I would think that if there were a few around there would be more hunters, hikers, bigfoot hunters etc. noting their tracks.

I would imagine that coming across a cougar while hiking would be a pretty scary experience. But its kind of cool to think that an animal that big could be around somewhere.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Cougars

I don't think we have an over abundance of them here in the east. However, out west where my sister lives, one of the things the F&G, (or whatever version of it) teaches you is NOT to run. Cougars perceive that as a food source trying to escape. Let the chase begin....
I have a news clipping sent by my sister, about a guy bear hunting, came across a cougar. Let him have it, dropped it right in its cougar tracks! 180 lbs dressed out.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Hey Banks, they found bigfoot, did you see?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdWeenHW2U
Old 08-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Yeah I saw that. Looks like someone bought the suit used during the filming of Harry and the Hendersons on eBay. Sweet
Old 08-16-2008, 01:52 AM

Smile

Plenty of cougars here in Manchester at the bars!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM

Default Catamonts

You might like to check out a new book that has just been relesed called Catamont A North Country Thriller by Rick Davidson.
It is a great reed with lots of action, adventure, romance and some fly fishing. You can a copy by calling or writing Enfield Distribution, P.O. Box 699. Enfield, NH 03748 or 1-888-874-6904. The publisher is Beech River Books in Ossipee, NH www.beechriverbooks.com
For the record I had one cross the road in front of me one afternoon. When I told the local CO he told me I had seen a UFO. The guy was/is an old friend so he his entitled to give me a hard time oncn in a while. When I brought the subject up on an other occasion I got the story of how people release them into the wild.
I may have been the inspiration for the above mentioned book and I am mention in the book. The guy who wrote it and I fish to geather oncn in a while.
If you fish the "North Country" of NH you will love this book.