October 23, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Default What is SO BAD about NH?

I have recently argued with several people on this forum regarding New Hampshire being a nice place to live. Everyone who thinks that Montana is a better place to live has simply not done any research.

here are some facts I found at http://freestateproject.org/files/10...Move-to-NH.pdf

New Hampshire offers modern,
extensive cellular and Internet
infrastructures and statewide access to low-
cost, high-speed Internet.

In montana much of the area does not have internet or cell coverage

Throughout NH, in every region,
there are numerous cultural
offerings not always easily found
or within convenient driving
distance in other states

In MT everything is far away!

NH offers 17 accredited private
senior colleges and universities
to choose from.

In montana there are very few decent schools, most research is conducted by outside institutions. These schools are not geographically close to each other at all.

New Hampshire is the #1
healthiest state in the
NATION, tied with Minnesota, as ranked
by the United Health Foundation, 2003.

This is one of the most important things in life right?!

Based on FBI figures, New
Hampshire has the least
overall crime in the NATION as of 2001.

I realize this is a few years ago but it is still impressive.

New Hampshire is #1 in the
NATION as ranked for quality
of life and livability by Morgan Quitno
Press, 2004.

Sounds pretty nice to me!

Unlike some states, New
Hampshire offers abundant
water resources. The potential
for water shortages in NH are insignificant.

I have seen several rivers be destroyed by drought, dewatering by ranchers, and low rainfall... we have no stocking program in montana so these rivers remain dead. The jefferson is a good example, it is rarely fished today.

New Hampshire offers
reasonable commute time, by
rail, bus, or car, to major
metropolitan areas in
surrounding states

Montana has no useful transportation system and flights cost a fortune.

New Hampshire is currently ranked fourth in unemployment rates as of October 2008 at 4.1% only beaten by ND SD NB(?) and who wants to live there? NOT THIS GUY!

New Hampshire is ranked #2 in the nation
as the state most tax friendly to businesses.

This is cool!!

New Hampshire cities have been mentioned
multiple times inMoney Magazines The
Best Places to Live in America ranking.

For states with a population under 1.5 million,
New Hampshire is second only to ID for the
number of new jobs forecast, 2000-2010.

NH has the 7th highest per capita personal
income in the country, after
high cost of living states CT, DC, MD, MA,
NY, and NJ. For per capita disposable personal income,
NH is also 7th behind the same states.

I just would like to say to all of you who have given me reason after reason why NH is not a good place to come and start a business that you live in one of the very best states in the country for health, education, jobs, and quality of life. If it seems NH is a tough place to get along maybe you have been spoiled or are taking something for granted.

Craig
Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 PM

The people in NH have trout envy.... besides that, NH is a great place to live.

No Income Tax, No Sales Tax, Decent Schools, Decent Property Tax Rates (not very far above national average), ability to be in a city, ocean or mountains within an hour of Boston.

You're comming to a good place. The fishing is different, so be prepared, but we've got plenty of great places to fish.

TGIF
Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 PM

Shhh....don't spread the word. They are supposed to keep those stats secret! I have lived in allot of different places. NH is my favorite.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 PM

In a word there is nothing wrong with New Hampshire that isn't also wrong with a number of other places. You just seemed to me to have this idealized version of this perfect New England locale that had none of the problems you experienced in Montana. That just isn't true.

I live in MA, and treasure the time I spend in NH, but I've come to love it, warts and all. From your early posts, I felt you thought it was wart free. Most of the "knowledge based" jobs you spoke of are in high tech, and are located in the southeast part of the state....a good distance from the best trout fishing, but not far from the ocean. That's why I mentioned Saltwater possibilities. Also, your education would seem to be in disciplines far removed from the high tech sector. Given the state budgets in New England, jobs in fisheries management are pretty much non existent.

The best (fresh water) fishing in NH is nothing like the fishing you are leaving in MT. You spoke of picking up some money guiding. As I said, there is no shortage of established guides here, and despite your prior experience, there will be a learning curve. Your boat would be useful on the Androscoggin and part of the Connecticut, but hardly anywhere else.

Summing up, there is nothing "so bad" about NH, (or ME, VT, MA or CT, for that matter), it is simply that I felt your expectations were too high. You really should have spent a few weeks out here and gotten a feel for the area before you committed, but at 27, you are probably too impatient for that. (i know I was at that age)

Anyhow, If you come out with realistic expectations, and you have the wherewithal to sustain you and your fiance for the time it will take you to find work, (could be a while), I think you could be happy here.

Oh, no insult intended, when you type out your resume, use a spell and grammar checker.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 PM

99, I envision keg beer. I did spend a few weeks out there!!!! loved it. I think the place is beautiful and the people I have met in person were great. I will use that grammar check, no worries, I have many levels of formality when it comes to typing, just like the rest of my life. I idealize nothing, I am a realist who trusts darwin with the big questions. I am positioned well to do well 99, thats what counts, and if its doubt you are trying to plant, you'll find no ground here.

Craig
Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 AM

There is nothing wrong with NH, just try and get as much fishing time on the water out there in MT before moving.

good luck on the move.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 AM

Craig

You will do just fine out here. The only suggestion I would give is to be sure and get a fishing license in Maine as well as NH. You live so close to the Maine boarder it would be a shame if you don't also fish the great state of Maine. Look me up when you have time in the spring.

Lee

P.S My avatar is a picture of a Rapid River Brookie (wild) that was about 18 inches in length and about 2.5 lbs.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:28 AM

In my reading of these posts, no one has ever said that NH is anything other than a great place to live. We have all read and are aware of everything you listed in this particular post. ( Do I sound like Kype? Heaven forbid.)

We know NH is a fantastic please to live. The trout fishing is very limited compared with Montana and many other states. We discourage people from coming because we do not want this limited opportunity to be diluted by more people moving in. I guess you are one guy who cannot be stopped from coming. So we are not always successful in driving people away. Can't win all of the time.

Seriously, all the posts about NH are variations and elaborations of the one above by steamtrain, quote:

"There is nothing wrong with NH, just try and get as much fishing time on the water out there in MT before moving."

Last edited by OTTER; 02-17-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 AM

I know you are right OTTER, and I know people get defensive about there fishing territory, they do the same thing in montana, I just never take part in it. I am going to take my boat where no boat has gone before, or give it my best shot anyway. This is where I will find my fish, where there is no access by car. If you don't have a boat, chances are we will not be fishing the same water. If you think your rivers are not conducive to floating I have to say that you should look up the N Fork of Rock Creek near missoula, the Ruby River near twin bridges, and Wise River, in Wise River, MT . These rivers are VERY small and rocky and fast but we still guide on them. There is no chance for a drift boat on these little creeks but a small raft with a good rower can make it, and catch a ton of fish. Also, why are you not living in MT? It sounds right up your alley!

Steamtrain, thats why I am leaving montana, because NH is different in all the ways that are important to me as a young adult (education, jobs, fox hunting, horseback riding, STRIPERS!!!!!, and the real-estate is cheap cheap cheap). For me montana offers the best hunting and fishing in the world and I have shot plenty of animals and caught plenty of trout. If you ever go to MT I will let you pick my brain about the fishing. That last question I asked OTTER applies to you too I think!

Lee, good point, I will get my ME license asap, I have heard way to many good things about ME as well.

Thanks for the good info fellas,

craig

Last edited by TroutSlayer; 02-17-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:12 AM

You are (going to be) in a good spot. Maine and NH are my 2 favorites out of my favored New England. I have lived in California, Mississippi and Connecticut; spent a little time in Colorado but have always found this area as being the most favored by me (though I did like Colorado a whole bunch). From Rochester, a 2 hour ride will cover alot of New England's good waters. As for further education, I think it's been mentioned that UNH in Durham will be just down the road from you.