February 25, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 09-26-2009, 03:06 PM

I here you Nate. Wasn't going to post this but I'm pretty sure you're familiar with this area. I'll tell you what, when 2 cougars get your scent, you really start wondering what they could do to a fellow.

Last edited by BugChucka; 09-26-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-27-2009, 01:48 PM

Bugchucka,

Good job integrating the cougar on the right. Changing the round, yellow flowers to goldenrod is clever. The cougar on the left deserves more work, e.g., the shadows, the forelegs, etc.

Overall, A+.

The original http://www.geog.ucsb.edu/~gallo/mountain_lion/ is a bit scarier.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:06 PM

Reed,
Are you implying that the picture is not authentic?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to natefish

Well I did see some deer in that area. I think bug just added the cougar on the left. I'm fairly sure the other was there.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefish View Post
I have many credible sources, science teachers, lawyers etc. Who have sighted mountain lions and know they exist in nh. The issue is that Fish and game does not want to deal with the public response to this fact.
Oh my....lawyers are credible.....did they stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

I've been staying away from this thread.....and cannot resist any longer.

I'm a wildlife biologist and I work with NH Fish & Game on a regular basis..they are far from credible...so science teachers=even less credible. 75% of the public doesn't know a red oak from a red maple, yet they swear they have seen mountain lions? So how do people describe supposed sightings? Most say "it had a long tail". Well 3 of 4 of the northeasts native mammalian predators have long tails.

Here is the bottom line. Could there be some escaped individuals in the northeast? Possible.

Is there a "breeding population" of mountain lions in the northeast? Highly improbable.

The northeast US is nowhere near undeveloped/undisturbed/desolate/wild/...whatever term you would like to use, than the west or even the south. If there are mountain lions in the northeast, where are the photos, the confrimed tracks and scat? How come a hunter hasn't killed one yet, nobody has one wedged in the grill of their car yet? Hmmm....with the number of hunters and trail cameras out there?

People claim a conspiracy....agencies do not want the public to know that mountain lions might be in their backyard. And their motive is? Most say the public would panic or freak out. Panic over what? Lions are common out west....westerners are not in a panic because mountain lions roam their backyards.

Public response. What do you think the public response would be if a picture of a dead mountain lion appeared in the Union Leader tomorrow?

I'm from Missouri....the show me state....when I see it I will believe it.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:47 AM

"What do you think the public response would be if a picture of a dead mountain lion appeared in the Union Leader tomorrow?"

Increase in pro-hunting sentiments which would be a win for F&G.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Kinda like when a zoo informed the public that a panda bear had esacped. It was hit by a train and killed, yet there were over 200 reports that people had seen it after the fact
Old 12-11-2009, 09:02 PM

OK, the fishing has tailed off for most of us, Otter excluded, so I thought I would add another log to the fire on this thread.

During the hot and heavy posts regarding mountian lions in NH, I included a link to a photo of a 110 lb. juvenile that was hit by a car in Northern Minnesota. Not supposed to be any cougers in Minnesota according to the DNR. The road kill was in an area near a designated trout stream we were fishing in May.

So below is a new link for a story concerning a local hunter that captured a very large biped critter on an automatic camera located on his property.

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/event/...e/id/100013967.

I think I'll start packing in the northern wilderness areas.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 AM

The picture looks like the cookie monster.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 PM

The aliens must be in the hillside nearby controlling him. Someone should contact OSI and send Steve Austin in to take em' out.

Last edited by PW; 12-15-2009 at 02:21 PM.