February 21, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 10-17-2009, 04:51 PM

Thumbs up lakeside structure

I would love to put one of these beauties on lake/river side. Sweet fishing spot! www.whitemountainyurts.com

Anyone out there have one and already doing this?
Old 10-17-2009, 06:34 PM

You can have a completely wooden structure built and delivered to your property for the same price as one of those.
Considering that they are glorified tents I would look into a traditional camp building instead.
Something like this:
http://www.hillviewminibarns.com/camps.php
A bunch of places in Maine sell these, I made a few trips to the Moosehead area this year and passed a few roadside places advertising these type of buildings.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM

those cabins are nice too, but the beauty of the yurt is that they can be made permant or portable and can be set-up or broken down in less than a day.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:42 AM

you also wouldn't need a building permit for the yurt either as they are considered a tent-like structure.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Well, I don't see what advantage one of those has over a tent platform and an outfitter tent at 1/4 (or less) the price. However consumers are free to make up their own minds.
I also know that in many communities how a building is taxed or permitted often depends on whether the building has a foundation, not how tent-like it is.

I think I can also speak for many members here and say we appreciate honesty, and would prefer that retailers advertise their products openly and honestly, not pretend to be fishermen talking about how great their new (insert name of product here) is.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:37 PM

I actually have nothing at all to do with the company. I was just looking for friendly conversation on a unique structure I came across, that's all.

I'm just a plain, old, type of guy that really does enjoy fishing!

Have a good night.

Ron
Old 10-25-2009, 03:05 AM

Although the Yurt is pretty cool, I don't think it is very practical at all. It has to be heavy to the point that it would be cumbersome to move. Yet it wouldn't be able to provide the level of protection a hardsided structure can. The deal killer for me is the maintenance. I imagine moisture and mildew could be a huge headache.

The canvas or side material would need treating every year or two. You could leave the structure up in winter but again that would likely require more maintenance, while portable it isn't portable enough to be able to hike anywhere with it like a tent. I don't need a platform with a tent and I have a 4 season hammock I'll use on some back country excursions. I've even got a 4 season expedition tent that buttons up pretty tight.

I agree with Wet-Fly a tent is nearly as good and more mobile and if you were to have a permanent camp a hard sided cabin would be better. Not that a cabin doesn't require work but probably less than a yurt and less time fixing means more time fishing.

Milan state park lets you rent yurts, am going to try one next may when I fish the andro, but I'll have my tent too.

"You are the Kim Jong-Il of fly fishing forums" - Banks10
Old 10-25-2009, 06:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Although the Yurt is pretty cool, I don't think it is very practical at all. It has to be heavy to the point that it would be cumbersome to move. I've bought and read the book "Living in the round" regarding yurts and infact all you need is 2-3 people for the smaller sizes and 2-3 more people for the bigger one to move. To erect it you don't need that many, it would just take a little bit longer than a day to set-up. All the pieces are individualized. Yet it wouldn't be able to provide the level of protection a hardsided structure can. According to the engineer, in the book, the structure can sustain hurricane force winds, as the wind goes around it, and has no corners to catch. The deal killer for me is the maintenance.I've looked into this for concern myself and there actually is very little maintenence;the heavy duty vinyl is fire retardant, uv & mildew resistant. The fabrics they use has something like a 10-15 yr. warrenty. The seams are thermally welded and needs no treatments. Alot of the modern yurt manufactures don't use canvas like the old original yurts. It's the canvas that need to be treated and then yes you would have an issue with mildew. I imagine moisture and mildew could be a huge headache. as explained above, not with what they use now adays. For added ventilation, that's what the skylight/dome is used for.

The canvas or side material would need treating every year or two. NO
You could leave the structure up in winter but again that would likely require more maintenance, No, maintence. Again, these modern companies offer snow & wind options, yurts are structured to hold heavy snow loads and if your using it in the winter months the heat from the woodstove melts as it lands. while portable it isn't portable enough to be able to hike anywhere with it like a tent. NO, I wouldn't recommend straping it to your back. I don't need a platform with a tent and I have a 4 season hammock I'll use on some back country excursions. I've even got a 4 season expedition tent that buttons up pretty tight. That's cool!

I agree with Wet-Fly a tent is nearly as good and more mobile and if you were to have a permanent camp a hard sided cabin would be better. Not that a cabin doesn't require work but probably less than a yurt and less time fixing means more time fishing. Here is the site where I ordered my book and really researched these structures to feel confident enough to answer questions like yours, www.yurtinfo.org site has a nice FAQ page and has answers to all types of questions like these.

Milan state park lets you rent yurts, am going to try one next may when I fish the andro, but I'll have my tent too.
That sounds like one heck of a nice fishing trip! Wish you luck!!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie68 View Post
I actually have nothing at all to do with the company. I was just looking for friendly conversation on a unique structure I came across, that's all.
Well, you should send them a job application then. You sure sound like you are selling these yurts.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:54 AM

That's funny that you should say that, looking back at your posts it looks like your already working for those wooden structure companies- pushing those pretty strong.

Maybe, I will contact them for a marketing job, -seeing you think I've done it so well, Thanks!

I thought I joined an adult forum....