October 23, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Lead is toxic. There are alternatives. The NRA isn't necessarily the sportsman friend. Even nationaly known outdoors witers will tell you that, as one told me a few years back when I supported the NRA.
Sounds like someone's been listening to too much Ted Williams...

Here's some more info from the NRA:

EPA Denies Ammo Ban Petition

Friday, August 27, 2010

Responding to a grassroots outcry from gun owners, the Environmental Protection Agency today announced that it has denied a petition by the Center for Biological Diversity and other radical groups that had sought to ban the use of lead in ammunition.

Agreeing with the position of the NRA and the firearms industry, the agency explained in a news release that it “does not have the legal authority to regulate this type of product under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).” Further crushing the hopes of anti-gun and anti-hunting activists, the release added: “nor is the agency seeking such authority.”

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6010

And even more ridiculous:

Did The Governor Just Put Hunting Season On Hold?

September 2, 2010

With a major hurricane sitting just off the coast of North Carolina the potential for some damage along the coast is likely. The Governor declared a state of emergency for North Carolina which includes the suspension of our second amendment rights ;

skinnymoose.com

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you." -Burt Gummer

Last edited by Butch Moore; 09-02-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Reminds me.

"All men that eat carrots will die".
Ergo--carrots kill men.

Consider this when looking at many of these things.
And that reminds me of this:

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you." -Burt Gummer
Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Butch, did you ever see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw
Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 AM

We need to ban carrots !
Old 09-03-2010, 07:18 AM

We need more people like Ted Williams.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Funny you should find that bushbuck! I actually did something similar when I discovered DHMO in college. I actually got a t-shirt with "Ban DHMO" on it and handed out DHMO MSDS sheets on campus, getting similar results. Well, similar up until people found out what DHMO really is anyway...they weren't quite as gracious as the guy in the video,

Old 09-04-2010, 06:45 AM

Thumbs down Why is this conversation on a fly fishing forum?

[QUOTE=Butch Moore;43841]Sounds like someone's been listening to too much Ted Williams...

Sounds like this conversation has no place on a fly fishing forum.

Bobby
Old 09-04-2010, 06:56 AM

Default Off Topic

This is the Off topic Forum! Glad it came up as I have not been keeping up on this stuff since moving to NH
Old 09-04-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kype View Post
Sounds like this conversation has no place on a fly fishing forum.
Gee, do you suppose maybe that's why it's in the "Off Topic" section?

Old 09-04-2010, 11:56 AM

There are plenty of hunting forums where this topic would be appropriate. Having an off topic section on a fly fishing web site is a nice idea and normally useful but it shouldn't be corrupted into a launching pad for political extremists to set up their soap box and spew their ideology. Off topics could include any number of things from teaching children to fly cast to how to fix the lawn mower or how to better take photos of fish or selecting a motel in Pulaski, NY. In this case it is apparent the off topic section is being used as a launching pad for disseminating political extreme ideology. I do not believe the intention of this off topic section was to open the door to ideologues and through it the infiltration of this site by the anti fly fishing crowed. There is a limit to what is acceptable on any web site. This is not the street where freedom of speech has sway regardless of how extreme it may be.
It is clear to me and others that this site may go the same route as others fly fishing web sites where this brand of ideology has been permitted to fester until the site has been co-opted and serious fly fishermen leave. I know of several serious fly fishermen that will no longer post on this fly fishing web site since this infiltration has begun.
Everyone is welcome to participate but it would be best for the site if certain topics were off limits and discussions we have been around many times like Reed's FFO proposal and the ranting of political extreme ideologues were not permitted. Let's stay on topic people and that is fly fishing.

Bobby