February 25, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM

I heard this story about a dozen years ago. The story came from a guide who fished this river quite often, and I suspect it to be true. A man went fishing on the Deerfield River for the day with his dog. About halfway through the day he was walking along a trail when another man approached him, took out a gun and told him to hand over all his money. The fishermen in full wading gear said he did not have his wallet on him. The man made him walk back to his truck and followed him from behind with the gun pointed. When they got back to his truck, the fisherman took out his wallet and handed over all his money. The man with the gun then shot the fisherman's dog and walked away.
An absolutely horrible story to say the least.
Whenever I am fishing alone on waters even the least bit remote, I always carry a buck knife on me. Not sure how or if I would ever use it, but it is reassuring to have just in the event something was ever to happen.
-BT

Last edited by browntrout; 11-30-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 PM

I know that crime happens everywhere, even on the water and in the woods. I've bever claimed that anyone should not (or should, for that matter) carry to protect himself from crime.

I'm soleley talking about the risk of being attacked by a bear, coyote or other "dangerous" animal. I just don't think the risk is there in New England. I could be wrong on this, I've been wrong on things many times before, but I'd never consider bears, coyotes or whatever else (fisher cats?) a threat in that way.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 11-30-2012, 02:31 PM

Hate hearing 5hit like that !
Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Moose View Post
Hate hearing 5hit like that !
Of course you do. That is completely understandable.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
I know that crime happens everywhere, even on the water and in the woods. I've bever claimed that anyone should not (or should, for that matter) carry to protect himself from crime.

I'm soleley talking about the risk of being attacked by a bear, coyote or other "dangerous" animal. I just don't think the risk is there in New England. I could be wrong on this, I've been wrong on things many times before, but I'd never consider bears, coyotes or whatever else (fisher cats?) a threat in that way.
The statistics are only part of what to consider. There may not have been a fatal bear attack in 100 years (I am guessing here, I have no idea when the last fatal bear attack was in New England), but that has absolutely NO bearing on whether or not there will be another. That really has to do with the individual circumstances of the bear encounter. Is it a mother with cubs, do you intentionally or unintentionally provoke the animal, etc. The fact remains that even small black bears that are cornered or for one reason or another have lost their fear of humans are capable of easily killing a person.
Whether or not this merits carrying seems pretty unclear to me. Is there a downside? I guess if you're an ounce counting backpacker, sure. If you don't have a permit and have to open carry, maybe you don't want to freak people out. Other than that, it seems like a personal decision and really a moot point, unless you are 1. looking for reasons to call people "flatlanders" or 2. worried that people are calling you a "flatlander".
Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 PM

I carry one every where I go. So, the answer is yes. But, its not the four leggers I'm worried about. Not out here anyway. Out west, it was the four leggers. But, I saw guys carrying shotguns out there. So, I'm not sure what good my revolver would have done. Those brown bears are a whole different ball game than anything we have in NH.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 PM

So BM my friend, I should have asked you this in the begining. I know you, and I dont believe you are afraid of bears and dogs. We roam the woods with an arrow. and I now know you have Boolets..
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM

Nope I have never said anything about bears and coyotes...never said anything abot pig bear man and the such....And Bushbuck...it is spelled Boooolits ! I have alot of booolits !!

Steve H and WFA...although I respect all opinions and experiences...dont matter what state you are from...blaming guns for killing people is like blaming pencils for making spelling mistkes.
You guys live in a state that is almost as bad as California and New York City....when it comes to handguns...so I guess I understand why you contradict yourselves.

Truth is I respect everybody's opinion on this forum even though I might dis-a-freakin-agree....

Its the one up-man-ship and the pontificating that I think I see in some of both of your posts that kills me...I mean I ask myself...could we be friends or not be friends....even if we met each other for a beer ???

If im wrong please respectfully disagree...if Im correct maybe someone can agree with me...
Old 11-30-2012, 09:52 PM

I believe Steve H is from Hampton.. But hey.. I cant spell Boolits or booolitts. or just freakin 50 cal bad stuff..lol
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 PM

Maybe we should carry pistols, are we still allowed to have a duel..

Maybe we should have a paint ball dueling set of pistols for when we may meet streamside. have a couple shots, see who is best, (at paint anyway) and enjoy the rest of the day.

I truly believe we have a bunch of good people here, well maybe all except one or two.. ha ha

No really, I would hate to think you pack when yo fish in case you meet a forum member.

BTW, BT that a horrible story.. My dog is a member of my family...

Last edited by bushbuck; 11-30-2012 at 10:55 PM.