August 17, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM

Default Bass Pro Shop coming to Hooksett

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS02/130309642
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM

I always understood it was Cabela's - guess I was wrong. Not much for fly fishing but it would be nice for other outdoor stuff. I always thought Cabela's should have put a store off 95 in the seacoast - no sales tax ! - instead of way up in Maine.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Capt.Dan

funny I was just about to post this steve, I'd rather see cabelas than bass pro. Just my 2 cents. Although, this could hurt our local sport shops.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 PM

I acturally have one of the 18 dollar BassPro Shops fly rods. It's an 8ft 8wt. I like it better than my St. Croix...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 AM

I'll take a Bass Pro!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 AM

walmart of sporting - junk
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Hit one of the Bass Pro Shops out in NY outside of Syracuse once. Not a bad store. Would of preferred Cabelas.

Funny part- if you look at some of their prices for tying materials, hooks, etc... Stone River beats a vast majority of them. I'll hit there for some stuff, but will still go to Stone River for my tying materials...
Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 PM

Default Bass Pro Shop in Foxboro

The Foxboro store has a decent sized area dedicated to fly fishing. They have what at first glance looks like to be a decent fly tying material area but when looking more closely at it, they don't have much of anyone thing. They have some 6/0 and 8/0 Uni thread, but only about 6 colors in each size. Also cost almost $1 more than what a fly shop sells it for. They have some brass beads, no copper color, but have loads of tungsten beads for almost $9 for a bag of 20. I would say they are at least 20% more expensive than your average fly shop on all materials. The stuff that has just their name on it should also have a tag stating "buyer beware!".

L.L. Bean has a store in Mansfield that claims to have a fly fishing dept but it is for the most part just a joke. I think most of Bean's efforts lately have been in the clothing market, their "signature" series, and my impression is that "fashion" is their desired direction. Sad to say that a Bass Pro Shops totally shows up a L.L. Bean store in regards to fly fishing.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 PM

Both Bean and Orvis have become clothing stores that also sell some fishing equipment, but probably only do it to keep up the appearance of an outfitter
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 AM

I usually hit the flagship store in Springfield MO when I go out to visit my in-laws. Huge place, mostly interesting because of the natural history museum atmosphere with all the taxidermy, and watching the fish in the huge aquariums is always interesting. They have a mountain stream display full of hog browns and 'bows. Also noteworthy are the giant gar, the huge alligator and the 100+ year old snapping turtle (about 3 1/2' long). The Fly Shop is dwarfed by all of the spinning and baitcasting gear for bass, crappie, catfish etc. I usually find some tool or gadget that is worth buying, not usually fly stuff tho'.