Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ary View Post
Orvis = Fine Ladies-wear.

Beans = Paper thin traditional styling

Bass Pro= Bubba-wear

Every time this post pops back up, I read this comment and laugh. Good stuff s2ary!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Dan View Post
S2ary . . . If you don't like LL Bean, Orvis or Bass Pro clothing . . . what are you wearing?

As for the Cabela's thing - yeah, they were scheduled to go in a few years ago but that deal fell through because they had a problem paying what Hooksett was looking for. Apparently BassPro doesn't have a problem paying.
When I pop some tags...I wear your granddad's cloths...I look incredible... This is ______ awesome...

Why Carhart of coarse...I average 3 years out of a pair of logging pants and two out of the canvas shirts...you pay extra up front but they last long enough to make that back.

Plus the duck cloth is windproof.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
Every time this post pops back up, I read this comment and laugh. Good stuff s2ary!
I really do enjoy my Orvis Open-air evening gowns...

I know I'm cynical, but they pretty much are just token fly shops. Keeping enough stuff in their catalogs to keep up appearances. Every 5-7 years or so they all strip down there fly gear lines and when the customer base complains they throw some resources at it, but they don't build it back up to what they stripped them down from.

The current exception to that is Orvis, since their last decline they responded with Ecotrax and Helios.

The other thing Orvis does right is that they still sell out of independent shops, all the other wanna-be lines have 'entry level only' gear at the storefronts. You might be able order the other stuff, but anything other than bare-bone nick-nack-patty-wack dress'em like TV garbage is just not there.

I think anyone who has been tying for more than a few years recognizes that right off, but we all like to gripe because we feel we have been marginalized by companies we helped to build back when they did value us. But, the truth is, if we did provide value to them they would not have left us behind as they expanded into new markets. Put your money where it belongs in a shop that won't reinvent themselves with your Grandma's style.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 PM

Does anyone remember when Beans in Freeport employed a full time female tyer in the fly shop when it was on the first floor of the original store. I recall watching her for hours either tying for Bean's fly bins or for an on-the-spot request from a river bound customer. She would answer any and all questions re: fly tying and materials.
Those were the days
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 PM

Got to love those Mossy Oak ladies long johns from Bass Pro. Get with the program guys and purchase you sweetie a nice sun dress, floppy hat, or quick dry shirt.