October 20, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 05-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Early Stripers?

Anyone been out to prospect yet? I splashed the boat tonight and checked Spruce Creek. Water temps on incoming tide near the mouth of the Piscat were 50 degrees, Spruce Creek was 52. Saw a couple fishing marks on the Lowrance but nothing ate.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:46 AM

I'm eager too. I've heard a couple have been caught at the mouth of the Merrimack and from the PI beach, according to today's On The Water fishing report.

"The tables were turned in a recent conversation I had with Kay Moulton from Surfland where she asked me for a report! Her reasoning was because traditionally when she gets wind of fresh fish in the Saugus River, they are usually in the Merrimack as well. No sooner did she enquire about that then she got news of fresh Plum Island arrivals on the outgoing tide from the headboats out to the mouth. Schoolies have also been caught off the front beach and in the Parker River from the Route One Bridge upstream. There also catching “cousins” of the striper – white perch – closer to the Governor Dummer Academy. For flounder, try off Crane’s Beach where reports have come in of some catching."
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 05-07-2017, 08:04 AM

The Merrimac River is loaded with dinks and schoolies !