October 20, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 03-20-2015, 04:13 PM

Parsons did have searuns until the watershed got developed and they disappeared decades ago.

Little River in North Hampton has always had drop downs from the from the rod and gun club.

A few years ago a crazy man told me they were going to start stocking Cains Brook in Seabrook. I wonder if you talked to the same guy Bull Moose.

The fish that are put into Berry Brook head right out to the harbor and spread out in Great Bay

The problem with this topic is it is taboo. Talking about it on the internet is like a breach of trust. Just like isolated populations of natives, there are more around than you think.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ary View Post
Parsons did have searuns until the watershed got developed and they disappeared decades ago.

Little River in North Hampton has always had drop downs from the from the rod and gun club.

A few years ago a crazy man told me they were going to start stocking Cains Brook in Seabrook. I wonder if you talked to the same guy Bull Moose.

The fish that are put into Berry Brook head right out to the harbor and spread out in Great Bay

The problem with this topic is it is taboo. Talking about it on the internet is like a breach of trust. Just like isolated populations of natives, there are more around than you think.
So true ......

This thread just turned me back on to heading to a place in Maine next month.
Might be the best fishing in April in a lot of places.

I will post picts.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:10 PM

They are a fish of a thousand casts ......

Here is a good one to add to the mix .....

There is a lot of salmon aqua-culture going on in the Gulf of Maine. Some trout are thrown into the salmon cages every year. Every year there is escapement. Not too long ago there was a storm that busted several ocean holding nets.

Some of those fish are still around. I ---- you not !

I don't know much about the biology and requirements of sea runs ..... but now I will research.

Hardest part is finding them ..... similar hardship is figuring out how to catch them.

Heavy sink with a green larvae worm one day ..... floating line with a modified Griffiths Gnat the next.

Last edited by Bull Moose; 03-20-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Nice, me too actually. With all the snow why not...

The fishery in the Great Bay system seem to behave like the European fisheries around the Baltic Sea and such. Browsing the Sea Trout forums has provided a lot of explanations for how where and when I've either caught a searun as by-catch, seen the fish or have heard from others where and how they have.

The times I've caught searuns in the O the fish were behaving very differently.

I've tried the M, but with no luck.

We have missed the February clam worm drift, but its just in time for both Smelt activity and in some estuaries inland silversides that winter in the lower third of the estuary. There are mummichogs too, but there niche doesn't really overlap the searun niche.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:35 PM

There is are April worm hatches .
Old 03-21-2015, 01:20 AM

Well thank you all, I do appreciate the contributions.

Perhaps, if some of you are willing, you could point me in the direction of where to go on the two rivers in Maine.

I'm a full time single father so taking a joy ride three hours away is asking a lot but my daughter would love it if I knew where I was going. It's always important to at least look like I know what I'm doing to her

Anyway, thanks so much for any help

Best to you all
Old 03-21-2015, 06:51 AM

The browns that are stocked into Barry's aren't you're regular run of the mill browns, they are an actual strain of sea runs that the state purchased from Nova Scotia back in the 60's. The closed section of Barry's always look nice but I always thought that it would be more suitable for brookies. Rumor has it the browns hangout behind the Wentworth and by odiorne during the summer, guys apparently feed them. I'd imagine any sea runs around here would be chasing smelt right now.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:22 AM

Remove the dams and the salters will know what to do. NH is the worst at dam removal for head of tide dams. Honestly the Feds should get involved.

JMHO

Steve

PS: What ended up happening in New Market? Anyone know?
Old 03-21-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truiteman View Post
Remove the dams and the salters will know what to do. NH is the worst at dam removal for head of tide dams. Honestly the Feds should get involved.

JMHO

Steve

PS: What ended up happening in New Market? Anyone know?
I agree, get rid of the dang things!

Haven't heard anything about the dam in Newmarket recently... its almost like the thought of it kinda disappeared. Honestly, I forgot about it until I read this...
Old 03-21-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree View Post
Well thank you all, I do appreciate the contributions.

Perhaps, if some of you are willing, you could point me in the direction of where to go on the two rivers in Maine.

I'm a full time single father so taking a joy ride three hours away is asking a lot but my daughter would love it if I knew where I was going. It's always important to at least look like I know what I'm doing to her

Anyway, thanks so much for any help

Best to you all
The marshes in Ma & NH are still filled with ice, so I would think that it will be a few more weeks before it is fishable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo View Post
The browns that are stocked into Barry's aren't you're regular run of the mill browns, they are an actual strain of sea runs that the state purchased from Nova Scotia back in the 60's. The closed section of Barry's always look nice but I always thought that it would be more suitable for brookies. Rumor has it the browns hangout behind the Wentworth and by odiorne during the summer, guys apparently feed them. I'd imagine any sea runs around here would be chasing smelt right now.
That is very interesting.

Believe it or not, one of the answers to head of tide dams is global climate change. Also I think if we had a change in ideology we will be able to address virtually all of the dams in New England.