October 20, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 05-20-2015, 11:32 AM

I agree completely with it's really up to you and certain times of tides produce. I fished last night at a spot that usually poduces on certain times of the tide. I was there a little too early last night because i had to work today and although i did see a couple fish break the surface that was it and i came up empty in the fish dept. Still a fantastic evening to be out and work on my cast with the shooting line i'm still new to.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:19 PM

As a rule of thumb I prefer an active outgoing tide.

Start by getting familiar with a shallow estuary where the fish move in with the tide and back out again before the tide drains out. Hampton, the O, Danvers, Mousam, ect. are all good examples of this type of estuaries. Smaller tributaries of larger deep water estuaries such as Salmon Falls, Lamprey, Rowley, etc. are good as well.

Locate a half dozen locations where the river bottle necks where a shallower segment of the river dumps into a choke point with deeper water. Bridges, jetties, deep river bends etc. In the better locations a couple of this are going on. First the bait above the choke point are running out of water and need to move lower in the estuary. Second, the narrowing of the river width increases water velocity decreasing the baits ability to avoid predation. Third the deeper water at or below the choke point allows stripers and blues to hold in this location during the outgoing tide cycle.

Start fishing at the first choke point in the upper portions of the estuary 1 hour after localized high tide. If you do not contact or see fish in 10-20 minutes move to the next lower choke point. Repeat this process until you contact fish. When the fish disappear from a location, move to the next lower choke point. You should be able to stay in contact with the fish all the way through low tide or until they exit the estuary. Just remember to start with localized high tide or actual high tide at the upper levels of the estuary. In some estuaries like the Salmon Falls, high tide in the back of the estuary is considerably later than high tide at the mouth.

Once you contact fish, make a few mental notes on where the water level is. After a few tide cycles you will have a feeling for where the fish are based on the time of tide and go right to where the fish are and follow them through the rest of the cycle.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:25 AM

Sorry I forgot another important parameter for this strategy;

Pay close attention to the monthly Spring/Flood and Neap/Low Runner tide cycles.

When the tides are in a neap cycle the fish will not enter as far up into the estuary, so stay low in the system.

During the extreme flood tides they may push back further in the system than on an average tide. So try the farthest reaches of the system.