December 12, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Default NHFG; Wild Trout; Magalloway and Wildcat

As has previously been discussed here, a formal rule change has been submitted to allow bait fishing on a section of the Magalloway River. The public meeting for comment is scheduled for November 30 in Lancaster.

I also hear through the grapevine that the department has been very resistant to making changes that support the management of the Wildcat River as a wild trout water. And that the excuse is that there is not a formal state “coldwater fisheries plan” in place to help guide this.

Am I missing something? How are these two positions not at odds with each other?

I don’t have any knowledge of how decisions are made at the senior levels of NHFG, but on the surface it certainly appears they treat wild trout as second class citizens.

I know some folks here have been very active on the Wildcat issue. Am I drawing the wrong conclusion?

Last edited by vermonster; 11-16-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: corrected date
Old 11-16-2017, 10:29 AM

No, I don't think you are drawing the wrong conclusion. Suggest you study Business 101 instead of Science.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:31 AM

Us trout fisherman NEED to make a strong showing at the public hearing. Dianne Timmins did a whole study on the brookies moving up and down the lower stretches of the magalloway and now because some people want to fish for "horn pout" they are trying to open it back up. Complete joke. They don't care about science, more about politics and making Sununu happy
Old 11-16-2017, 01:06 PM

Default Rule Change Hearing

Got to agree with the comments made here, the need for showing up, and the reasons why this is happening.

The Fish & Game site shows the meeting to be held on Nov 30th @ 6:00 PM. There is also a link to the rule changes and renewals proposed. I'm trying to make sense of the legislative lingo, I've got more head scratching to do.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelstory View Post
No, I don't think you are drawing the wrong conclusion. Suggest you study Business 101 instead of Science.
Generally I believe the "follow the money" approach for understanding behavior.

In this case I can't figure out how allowing brown bullhead fishing on a small section of river has any economic impact on NHFG at all.

Similarly, the Wildcat looks to be a prime candidate for wild trout management, which would seem to have few costs associated with it.

What am I missing?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 PM

Default We are screwed

Don’t ever forget that this government is all about the politics of money. We will get northern pass too. It doesn’t mater what we want as voters and sportsmen. You can bet that if there is a FOS (friend of Sunnunu) involved we loose. These people just don’t care about us. Protecting natural resources is not what they do.

Last edited by bridgeman; 11-16-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:30 PM

Reportedly there is a sporting club in that area that is behind the changes. Hard for me to believe an organized club has a such a serious desire to open up additional hornpout opportunities.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 11-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonster View Post

Similarly, the Wildcat looks to be a prime candidate for wild trout management, which would seem to have few costs associated with it.

What am I missing?
I think there are a lot of people out there who don't like wild trout designations and the "special regulations" that they fear come along with that. First and foremost, NH Fish & Game manages our state's fisheries mostly for it's economic benefit, especially through tourism. Science is secondary. It seems to me that there is a strongly held and longstanding perception that rampant stocking is needed to maximize the economic benefit. We who'd prefer to see less stocking and, instead, stricter regulations and habitat improvement efforts, appear to be in the minority. I recently learned of a newly formed group, though, that is working to change this perception. Check it out: https://nativefishcoalition.org/

For what it's worth, a 2011 Angler Survey (https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/fhw11-nh.pdf) shows that 153K residents fished and 58K non-residents fished.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 11-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
I think there are a lot of people out there who don't like wild trout designations and the "special regulations" that they fear come along with that. First and foremost, NH Fish & Game manages our state's fisheries mostly for it's economic benefit, especially through tourism. Science is secondary. It seems to me that there is a strongly held and longstanding perception that rampant stocking is needed to maximize the economic benefit. We who'd prefer to see less stocking and, instead, stricter regulations and habitat improvement efforts, appear to be in the minority. I recently learned of a newly formed group, though, that is working to change this perception. Check it out: https://nativefishcoalition.org/

For what it's worth, a 2011 Angler Survey (https://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/fhw11-nh.pdf) shows that 153K residents fished and 58K non-residents fished.
I don't think that all republicans are bad but in NHF&G it seems like they are. The current regime WILL NOT change rules unless there is some type of organization behind it. I really hope that this rule change doesn't go through.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:40 PM

Talked to one of the guys working the fishing section at Cote's in Errol yesterday.

He claims this is being pushed by a group of camp owners on that section of river who are pissed off because in prior times they could fish for anything they wanted with bait from their docks.

This rings true to me. Somehow I seriously doubt there are a lot of tourist dollars in hornpout.