November 22, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 10-06-2015, 08:09 AM

Default Small Game hunting

Anyone on this forum interested in getting some people together for some Pheasant or partridge hunting? I'm in Pembroke NH, and looking for some folks to hunt with on weekends. Willing to travel reasonable distance to hunt.
Thanks.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:42 AM

do you have a dog? You're gong to be SOL without one. I've been out a couple times and without a flusher....if you've got access to a dog though I'd be willing to see if we can work a few hunts in.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:44 PM

Sorry..no dog. I managed to take 5 birds in Bear Brook state Park the one year that I went for Pheasant. Covered a lot of ground and still saw a lot of birds.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:50 AM

well you're better than I sir. That's why I don't normally claim to be a bird hunter, I tell people I go extreme bird watching!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:45 PM

I'm not much of a hunter but I am truly blessed to be able to hunt for wild partridge (ruffed grouse) in Maine every October and November. Walking the old abandoned logging roads with my wife not far from camp is an absolute pleasure. No dogs (yet) but we always seem to manage to get a few to save for a celebratory meal on the day after Thanksgiving (kind of a tradition).

Not sure how much I'd enjoy hunting stocked pheasants in NH. Not opposed to it, by any means, but the farms near my home where they're stocked (Connor's, Sanderson's) get pummeled in the first few days of the season. Can't imagine the birds last long. And frankly I'd constantly be afraid of being in someone's line of fire.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 10-10-2015, 04:37 PM

Yeah I've been peppered twice, once almost immediately after waving to the guy and having him wave back....no excuses there. I love grouse hunting but i only seem to see them when I'm fishing. I go back to the same places during hunting season and can't even find a squirrel. I've taken a liking to woodcock hunting but they're so hard to find without a dog. I thought i was good because I'd flush 2 or 3 walking myself then i went with a friend with a dog and we had over 30 flushes...
Old 10-13-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdoclt View Post
Anyone on this forum interested in getting some people together for some Pheasant or partridge hunting? I'm in Pembroke NH, and looking for some folks to hunt with on weekends. Willing to travel reasonable distance to hunt.
Thanks.
PM me I'm in Concord.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:08 PM

I pm'do you. Did you get it?