November 22, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 01-01-2016, 05:42 PM

Thank you for the confirmation and additional information reed. Unrelated, I continue to enjoy your book. I am not sure I have mastered it but enjoy the additional dimension to my tying.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 AM

TGIF,

Thank you for the kind words about the book.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
I'm unclear on just what problem this proposed law is supposed to solve.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...6508--,00.html
Old 01-02-2016, 02:01 PM

Ken B and CJSNH:

My initial goal was to create a bill that banned ALL FEEDING AND BAITING of deer. Like Vermont did awhile back. And like NH and MA have never made legal in the first place.

But, given the fact that the deer baiting crowd got their season reduced last year from the entire deer season to a brief window from mid-October to around the 3rd week in November, and even this met with incredibly stiff opposition from the Guides Association and certain members of the "hunting" community - they advised me to stick with just winter feeding outside of deer season, in order to make this bill not be about hunting. They felt it would have a better chance of passing.

As for the "certain areas where F&G has said it would be harmful - I think this is simply political wordsmithing to make it more likely to pass. NH F&G has been saying for years that it's bad to feed deer in the winter. But again . . . this seems to be one of those cases where bills get "watered down" from their original intent because it's "better to have SOMETHING pass, than nothing at all."

Not sure I agree with that - but I still feel that after the massive die-off that was in the news last March that it was good to "strike while the iron is hot" so to speak.

Thanks for all the questions and comments and I would again encourage anyone who is able to come to the hearing and speak in favor of this legislation as soon as I have the date.