November 21, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2017, 09:23 PM

Default Spawning Trout

Anybody know of some good fishing locations for spawning browns or brookies? Don't want to target them on redds, but I was hoping to hit them in the pre-spawn.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:06 PM

I am NOT looking for secret hotspots, just general info....
Old 08-28-2017, 04:45 PM

Any river or small stream in the Whites should do.

https://www.instagram.com/swamptroutnh
Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 PM

The Swift in MA in November
Old 08-28-2017, 08:25 PM

The amount of energy expended by mature trout in spawning, .e.g. preparing the redd, chasing off intruders, the actual act of spawning itself, leaves little in the way of reserves for the winter ahead. To deplete the trout's physical resources even further by hooking it, fighting it, and then releasing, seems counterproductive for anyone who desires to have a wild trout fishery in NH.

At one time, the trout season ended in early September, so catching spawning trout was not (legally) possible. Now, we are faced with an ethical dilemma -- to fish or not to fish. Pre-spawning mature trout are easy to catch; the cock fish are pugnacious and the hens are moving things out of the redd area. But do we want to take advantage of their vulnerability?

Here is a short, balanced article on the subject -- http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/le...or-not-to-fish.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys! So, overmywaders, I do not want to do anything that could potentially harm the trout population. Maybe I have been laboring under a false impression. It has always been my understanding that targeting male trout in the pre-spawn before they got on redds was fine, as long as proper catch and release tactics were followed. I will happily rethink that if the consensus agrees with you. Thanks for the info sir! Any thoughts from anyone else on this ethical issue? Happy to learn....
Old 08-30-2017, 09:03 AM

Fishing Fall run fish is very common, particularly in rivers that feed into lakes. The closer to the spawn the more stress that is being put on the fish. The closed seasons are there for that purpose, but depending on temps and water flows the sensitive times can happen earlier or later. My experience is that it is later, but if I see spawning activity, I leave them alone.

There is no such thing as risk-less fishing, but in my view, fishing over spawners and suckers is pretty unsporting.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Jacob,

The issue of fishing for pre-spawn trout raises several ethical concerns: is it sporting behavior, and is it detrimental to the fishery?

IMO, consensus is not a valid mechanism for determining ethical behavior -- genocides throughout history prove that.

Two questions we might ask ourselves before fishing for wild pre-spawn trout are "Do I value a wild trout fishery?" and "Will catching pre-spawn trout have a detrimental effect on such a fishery?"

The following study might be of value for you in making your choice: Results of a Pilot Study to Evaluate Effects of Hooking and Handling on Fall-angled Salmonids.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 AM

Default Ponds and Androscoggin

There are plenty of stocked trout ponds that fish very well in the fall. I personally think the whole wild trout thing is seriously overstated. Most of what we catch outside the small streams are stocked or naturalized stocked or offspring of stocked trout. The Connecticut, Androscoggin, and Merrimack are good the fall. I would not fish anything above Errol dam where the big wild ones live. Most of these places with exceptional wild trout fishing are protected by special regulation as they should be.
I would try the andro in the Gorham to Maine line. It's probably the best fall fishing and doesn't close. It's suppose to be a big secret for a select few but there's plenty of fish and water for everyone.
For those of you that think I'm spot burning too bad. I will post the specifics next time if you object to posting a 10 mile section of river.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:36 AM

Bridgeman, anyone taking potshots at you is overreacting as that is a lot of water. It is an overlooked section of river as people just drive farther north. Pretty good access and an opportunity to get away and find solitude. It also is an option as you noted after most everything else closes. Just remember single hook point flies/lures (you can use multiple fly setups) and catch and release. If you go late season try Mountain Fire Pizza in Gorham, a great wood fired pizzeria. The local economy could also use additional visitors. Go exploring! You will be rewarded.