August 20, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 AM

Default Will the real Maynard's Marvel please stand up

I read with interest the string about "the golden Oldies". My father and I have been tying what we consider the original version of this pattern for years. The pattern includes a red kip tail tag and throat, silver body and 12-18 Golden Pheasant Crest tied on top and finished with GP tippet cheeks. Some time the cheeks were replaced with Jungle Cock body feathers.

The first time I saw the pattern was in the 60's and they were tied by Bill Zimmerman of Zimmerman's Sport Shop n Keene. Bill's flys were tied under the "Monadnock Flies" label. He was an outstanding tier, he could tie a grasshopper that you thought would jump any minute. My Dad worked at Zimmerman's part time and picked up tying from Bill in the late 40's.

In the late 50's he started teaching Ora Smith to tie flies. Ora and Chet fished and tied flies for many yeaars until Ora's death in 2007. Just before he trolled into the big lake in the sky Ora offered us his inventory of fly tying material and patterns and basically 50 yeasr worth of items he collected. I have sorted through most of this and am fortunate to tie with some very good feathers today.

The legend of the Maynard Marvel as we know it was that Bill Zimmerman knew the folks that owned Maynards Fishing Camps in Maine and named the pattern after them. For many years I have researched fly tying Books by Joe Bates, W. Edison Leonard, Bill Blades and many other prolific tyers and writers and never once came across a listing for the Maynard Marvel. It seems every pattern known to man is listed in these books yet no Maynard's Marvel. If the fly was originated by a NH guide in the 20's wouldn't one of these writers included it at one time or another?

For now I think I'll stick to the beleif that Bill Zimmerman originated it and Chet and Ora made it famous. The Maynards's and it's variations are outstanding flies for trolling salmon and trout. We believe the effectiveness in so many lakes is because it can look transparent underwater and closely match the look of the rainbow smelt. Once you get the hang of tying it ( and maybe a secret ot two) this fly is easy to tie and easy to fish. Quality Golden Pheasant crest are expensive but well worth the price and if you buy in quantities and use the shorter feathers for smaller patterns the price will be bearable.

Last year while fishing a lake in Maine I was trolling a #4 Maynard's tied on a 9672 hook using the shorter crest freathers and hooked into a Brook Trout that I faught for almost 15 minutes. We could not get a net on this fish but one roll and the ferocious fight lead me to believe the fish was around 24". I still dream about that beauty and look at that fly all the time. You can see how we tie the Maynard Marvel at our website www.cut2spec.com

Good Luck and good fishing!

Paul
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Thanks for sharing this info. What can you tell me about that trolling device I saw on your site?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 AM

The G2jigger is the second generation of a water powered jigging device that I have developed. The G2 is simple to use and runs off a downrigger. The website explains the operation. Over the years of developing and fishing with a jigger we have sold them all over the world and got many responses from people using them both in fresh and salt water. You troll slow or fast with flies, lures even bait. The "stunned" effect that it imparts to the bait triggers a fish to strike because it looks like a wounded baitfish. Let me know if you hhave any questions. My sons and I manufacture the G2 and guarantee its succes.

PD
Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 PM

I have a hard time believing that when Dick Surette wrote the background info in his fly tying index, that he completely fabricated both the pattern and the story of its origin. What would be his motivation for doing so?
Both the flatwing Maynards Marvel as pictured in Surette's book, and the GP wing version are excellent flies. That is why, 30 YEARS AGO, several authors renamed the GP crest wing version the Golden Marvel. Why there is still a debate over this baffles me.
Both flies are worth carrying. The flatwing, in particular has been very, very good to me over the years.
If you insist that the Golden Marvel is the Maynard's Marvel, and completely write off the original*, you are missing out on a very good fly.

*by original I mean the first published version of the pattern.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to skilly
Smile Maynards Marvel

I read the same article in Fly Tyer. That's how I have tied the maynards over the years, with some variations.
That article was very informative as is your thread of your father and Ora.
Thanks for the very interseting info.
I was at Keene State from '67-'71 and did alot of fishing then.
Skilly
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Hi Wet Fly Action-

I didn't mean to insinuate that Dick Surrette had fabricated the history of the Maynard's I was only sharing the lore of the fly they way I know it.

Typically, I beleive that the first published version of a pattern determines the original pattern but thought that this was a situation that could give rise to a possible alternate. I have a Maynard's Marvel that was tied in 1969 to the pattern I described. Because many tyers started making variations on the pattern new names popped up to describe them and also to help maintain the original pattern. Golden Marvel, Summer Gold, Pumpkin Head, Canopache, Chet's Marvel and so on were a few of the names and most of these came about in the 60's and 70's. They all had variations in the patterns from what my Father believes is the original Maynard Marvel. I feel that any debate like this does not detract from what anyone believes is the original but instead brings to light more interesting feedback like the story I told.

By the way, the fishing at Lake Sunapee has been pretty good so far this year. Some nice Salmon up to 24" 4lb.

PD
Old 05-01-2009, 07:50 PM

PD-
Without realizing it you rubbed salt in an old wound of mine, and I overreacted. I apologize.
I think it is not only the translucency of the crests that makes such a difference, but the fact that they retain their curve. This gives the fly a fluttering action.
There are also a couple of atlantic salmon flies that use all pheasant crest wings, the Bats, and the Matane Terror. I have a couple of each in my box for salmon this summer.
Right now I am experimenting with a pattern for sea run brook trout with a GP crest wing, and so far the results are promising.
And whatever you call it, I will be up in the lakes region fishing the maynards/golden marvel tomorrow. Looking forward to it as it will be my first time trolling this season.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

I don't care about any of this. I can't wait however to tie the 'Ten Ten', this is the most beautiful fly I have ever laid eyes on!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:36 AM

Yes! The Ten-Ten has caught many suckers....I mean fish.
Let me tell you how we named that pattern. In 2006 our fishing at Winni got a late start because of boat problems. Finally in July we launced one morning at Wolfboro. Chet had tied the new pattern and on the ride up we were feeeling pretty confident so he stated that he was going to call the fly the 4 X 4. I asked why and he said he was going to let it out 4 times and reel in four fish.

Believe it or not Wolfboro Bay was full of salmon and trout that July and for three straight days we boated 12-20 fish each morning. Well, Chet let that fly out 10 times in a row over two days and reeled in ten fish before he finally reeled it in without a fish. It has been a killer for us ever since.

PD