April 23, 2014

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Solid
Arrow The Fly Fishing Show - Marlborough, MA

I'm sure everyone on this forum knows about this show and is already planning on attending and supporting, but for those who don't know about it, here's the info for 2014 The Fly Fishing Show - Jan. 17th, 18th and 19th.

LINK

Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 PM

I would go but I'm at Sugarloaf that weekend. Too bad for the conflict, as I would have liked to go this year.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Im planning on making this year my first.
"When a fish is caught on bait, I feel bad for it being so gullible, unable to resist - often gut-hooked. When a fish is caught on a lure, I sometimes feel it's been abused especially if there are barbed galvanized treble hooks or umbrella rigs involved. But when I catch a big, smart striper (or a native steelhead, or a double-digit bonefish, or a remote lagoon tarpon, or....) on a self-tied fly, I feel that neither of us have any shame when we look eye to eye." -Juro
Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 PM

45 minute drive for me from Boston. I think I'll check it out
ENC 2014, Environmental Science and Criminal Justice.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Capt.Dan

Hey solid, I'm heading there on Friday with Martin, Merril and maybe Mike plus few others.
Can you go on Friday?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 PM

Personally, I don't go anymore. It is my experience that the number of vendors (especially rod makers) is down and I am not interested in most of the other "junk" (beer coolers,bait buckets, etc) that are on display. In addition, there are very few new speakers and the seminars seem like the same old thing.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 AM

Default Kmudgn is correct ...but

Kmudgn is - disappointingly - correct -- in the short 7 years I've been FF - I've seen the Wilmington MA show die -- and the vendors at Marlborough drop. Each year there are fewer "big names" at Marlborough -
but check the list of vendors and presenters at Somerset NJ -- and you'll see many of those "big names".
Still -- its January - have not caught a fish since Dec 19th (thank you 3 Rivers) -- and if the Marlborough show is not supported - it will disappear also.
So -- see you there on Friday.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:25 PM

I know there are usually lots of tying materials but are there better deals or are the prices normal? I am also interested in the Popovics seminars
Old 01-05-2014, 03:55 PM

I agree the show has really fallen off and is getting smaller. Each year I say I'm not going but do. For the $15 that it costs to just get in - I just don't know. I think that there are very few "deals" on materials etc. There is however usually a couple of vendors with inexspensive flies so it is a place to pick up a bunch of flies. I also don't like humping up the hill to the hotel to attend the seminars.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:11 PM

Last year I bought a nice orvis wading staff that was nicely discounted. Also, I found that the show get the "fire in the belly" for fishing again. It's too bad that a vicious circle is made-venders/presenters don't come due to declining attendance, and due to declining venders/presenters, people don't come.