FlyFishingInNH.com Forum

FlyFishingInNH.com Forum (http://flyfishinginnh.com/vforum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://flyfishinginnh.com/vforum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   closed season? (http://flyfishinginnh.com/vforum/showthread.php?t=5570)

ups 08-22-2010 05:15 PM

closed season?

why does NH have a closed season for trout? there is very little if any natural reproduction in the state (other than small streams up north and a few in Hollis, NH). Why the closed season? what are they trying to protect? if there were wild fish i could see the point. other than that why can't we fish all year long in every river?

Hunyak 08-22-2010 06:35 PM

ooohhh boy....here we go again!!!

skilly 08-22-2010 07:07 PM

Closed season

UPS,
I agree!!!! F&G proposed ( extended season) a couple of years ago and went nowhere. Tough thread that has been hashed over many times. And a lot of the objections , to my understaning, came from the Guides in the Northern part of the state. I am sure I will get a lot of comments on this. But help me Otter!!!!!
Skilly

salparidise 08-22-2010 08:46 PM

rest

can see giving the holdovers a rest and all, but they let bass fisherman bother the lakers when they r reproducing, and that is a natural fish to the area, not like the smallmouth they brought in. I have seen them in 3 " of water in the fall and bass guys killing em with treble hooks. do not look to fg for any real logic in there actions.

Squaretail 08-23-2010 02:56 PM

I swear we're getting into the February playbook a little early!!!!!!! Let's hope this rain gets us all out fishing this fall!!!!!

natefish 08-23-2010 04:07 PM

1. There is natural reproduction that occurs and these fish need all the help that they can get.
2. Fish and game spends a lot of time dealing with hunters in the fall and they would be strapped too thin to try and manage both hunting and fishing at the same time.
3. There are plenty of places to fish for trout late season if you really can't resist.
4. There are more important things to be concerned about, like getting more wild fish.

I'm done.

Steve H. 08-23-2010 04:41 PM

UPS, drive out to the seacoast this fall/winter when you get the itch for some fly fishing after the official season has closed.

Several rivers (Lamprey, Cocheco, Isinglass, Salmon Falls and sometimes the Exeter) receive late fall stockings to promote a winter fishery. Fishing is usually good from mid-October through mid-January when shelf ice sets up limiting access (sometimes later during mild winters).

Consider supporting Three Rivers Stocking, as well, a private group that funds the lions share of the winter stocking. I'm pretty sure they have a fundraiser coming up.

(Wild fish are great and should hold precedence where appropriate, but these rivers have no natural reproduction to speak of.)

ziggyz420 08-23-2010 05:20 PM

many trout ponds around state open all year with no restrictions to season dates and many nice trout can be caught . Look up info on F&G web site many places to fish all year long. plus Jan. comes pretty quick. only 2 months.

Flyfish99 08-23-2010 06:03 PM

2 months?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggyz420 (Post 43447)
many trout ponds around state open all year with no restrictions to season dates and many nice trout can be caught . Look up info on F&G web site many places to fish all year long. plus Jan. comes pretty quick. only 2 months.

Are we skipping Sept & Oct or Nov & Dec? In either case, the football fans are going to be upset.;-)

ziggyz420 08-24-2010 07:27 AM

LOL not skipping any months its only closed from Oct 15th to Jan 1st for rivers and streams in NH Its only 2 months a little over to take a break. never has bothered me cause i Hunt. Fishing stuff goes away. Then Jan. Ice fishing so Pretty much flyfishing done for me Mid September.... really can't remeber the last time i Flyfished after sept 15th....