July 5, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 04-30-2008, 07:47 PM

Default Rod Action

Just curious what rod action you all are using. I am considering getting a fast action rod to be used mainly for trout fishing on medium rivers and ponds. Currently I use a TFO Professional Series medium/fast action 9' 5wt. which I like but I have difficulty casting weighted flies or casting into the wind. I'm just not sure I have the casting ability to go with a fast action rod. I would say I have a fairly quick casting stroke but my timing isn't always on. Don't know if I would benefit from a faster action rod or if it would just magnify my mistakes. I will be trying out the TFO TiCr 9' 5 wt. in a few days at my local fly shop but I was just hoping for some insight before then. Thanks for any replys.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 AM

I would say you're doing just fine. I am not a great caster, but any rod I bought in the last few years,, I had problems at first, but by the end of the season, with practice did alot better. As far as wind and heavier flies, I think that always will be a problem. Keep casting, everything will fall in place after awhile....
Old 05-01-2008, 06:32 AM

Hey Man... If you're having timing issues, do not get a fast action rod, it'll only make things much, much worse. I have Orvis Zero Gravity: 9' 5wt, 9.5 TipFlex... this is as fast as they come. I use it for chucking big streamers and nymph rigs, I can chuck 90 ft of line into a head wind, but if my timing is off by a fraction, I have nothing buy 90 ft of line behind me.

I also have a Sage XL, 9' 5wt, mid flex, medium to slow action, that I have had for years, and this is the rod that I taught myself to double haul on. It is great for Dry flies, but it can still chuck a decent streamer, and is a very forgiving rod.

Before you go buy a new rod, try learning how to double haul, that'll give you enough extra power to be able to punch it through the wind... but wind is a fly fisherman's enemy.

TGIF

Last edited by TGIF; 05-01-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 AM

To deal with wind and bigger flies, you might just consider bumping up to a 6 wt.

You might also try video taping yourself casting. It can be a real eye opener.
-Jim Harrison
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Between the four pads of a dog's foot; the fragrance of grass.

Braided Creek - Jim Harrison
Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 AM

I really like fast action (aka tip flex) rods. I use a Scott STS 5 weight; a Sage XP 905-4 and 490-4 and an Orvis Helios 905-4 (9.5 tip flex).

Yes...your timing does have to be "on"....but if it is you can really throw some line.

A Buddy of mine that's an *excellent* caster.....and a flyshop owner.....prefers rods as slow as he can get them. Different strokes..........

I do think that most guys/gals are using rods that are way too fast for their casting stroke, fwiw.

Dave M
Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 AM

I would not move forward with a faster action rod based upon what I've read in your post, timing is everything and the faster the action the better it has to be.
You've gotten great advice from all the responders, but one more thing to potentially consider (and is a variable at this point) is what fly line you are using? For all we know it could be a Double Taper and not a Weight Forward line. Many line companies make specialty lines designed for just this task, I know RIO makes the Clouser line designed to throw weighted and bushy flies.
Spend the money on a casting lesson rather than a new rod, you won't be disapointed.
dgibson@greatbayrods.com
www.greatbayrods.com
Old 05-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Dave M... welcome to NH.... those yellow marabou muddlers came out nice.
Thanks again!!!

TGIF
Old 05-01-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks for all the advise. I think I'll keep practicing with my current rod and maybe get another lesson or two. Hope everyone has a great season.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:57 AM

Go see Tom at Mountain Road to schedule your lesson. He is a certified casting instructor and a great teacher. He really helped me. He also has rods in stock that you can try out and see if you like different actions. Saturdays are the best day to get in touch with him.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:13 AM

If you can't get to Mountain Road, check here to see if there is someone closer.
-Jim Harrison
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Between the four pads of a dog's foot; the fragrance of grass.

Braided Creek - Jim Harrison