July 5, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2017, 12:48 PM

A Royal Coachman always seems to work for me.

Steve
Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 PM

I think it depends on the weather. If's a nice Spring day you should look for a stream as they should have started stocking in the Southern part of the state by then. The streams won't be as crowded as the lakes and ponds.

A cold rainy day should reduce the lakes and ponds crowd by over half.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTightLines View Post
Since I'm attempting to mostly fly fish only on the first day, maybe Stonehouse would be one of my best bets? Not sure how this place is on first day either.
It can be a circus. Like someone said a cold rainy day will reduce the number of people. Make it a cold rainy work day... that's a recipe to have a place to yourself. I do enjoy float tubing stonehouse after work though.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:25 PM

Pick up a float tube and do a hike in pond. Pretty good chance you'll have it to yourself or at least very few other fisherman. The longer the hike the less people and better fishing. Strip a Hornberg in.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookieSlayah View Post
Woolly bugger and various streamers will get them on opening day... They usually aren't very picky
Ok, I have some Black Wooly Buggers in stock and will toss them. No top water stuff? So far I'm a fan of a Parachute Adams, Black Gnat and Mosquito. Just the only ones I've had luck on so far in my very minimal fly fishing experience.

Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by truiteman View Post
A Royal Coachman always seems to work for me.

Steve
Nice thanks Steve. Will check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I think it depends on the weather. If's a nice Spring day you should look for a stream as they should have started stocking in the Southern part of the state by then. The streams won't be as crowded as the lakes and ponds.

A cold rainy day should reduce the lakes and ponds crowd by over half.
I will fish the brooks and such weeks before they open up the ponds and lakes. So I'm looking for a "least crowded" and "yak / fly fishing friendly" spot for the first day
I hope it's slightly rainy and a bit dreary to ward off the least hardcore fisherman
Thanks for your comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo View Post
It can be a circus. Like someone said a cold rainy day will reduce the number of people. Make it a cold rainy work day... that's a recipe to have a place to yourself. I do enjoy float tubing stonehouse after work though.
I will fish literally every possible day I can (should be every single day) from open water till the water freezes up again. So that's not entirely relevant to looking for my best option on opening day. I remember it being a total circus. hah I'm sure I'll find some fun to be had though

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude View Post
Pick up a float tube and do a hike in pond. Pretty good chance you'll have it to yourself or at least very few other fisherman. The longer the hike the less people and better fishing. Strip a Hornberg in.
I have a nice "off road" wheel trolley type of system for my fishing Yak, so I'll be bring that wherever I go.. just need ideas.
Thanks for your comment fishdude!

Still not entirely sure where I'll go on this day, but I'm thinking wherever it is..I should get there around 3-4am lol.
There's rules to when you can start fishing yes? Is it as soon as midnight hits, or a certain amount of time before sunrise? (I could go look this up I suppose)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Still not entirely sure where I'll go on this day, but I'm thinking wherever it is..I should get there around 3-4am lol.
There's rules to when you can start fishing yes? Is it as soon as midnight hits, or a certain amount of time before sunrise? (I could go look this up I suppose)
1 hour before sunrise is legal fishing time for trout. I would get there around 5:00 and you will have plenty of time to get your yak ready and out for when they start feeding. I would also put a few splitshot on your line if you are using streamers because all the boat activity probably puts them down a little bit.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Curious what you would consider one of the best places to go on the first day (4th Saturday in April) of fishing, if you were to be fly fishing and spinner fishing out of a kayak. I was considering Lucas Pond, as this is one of the places my father used to take me when I was a kid, on the first day. It was already a family tradition. Well... .. last year he died.. I want to go out at 3am and get myself lined up and in the water ready to fish. I want to do it properly, so was looking for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance. I live near Strafford, just to give you an idea of travel.
So how did the first day go and have you been able to go out everyday since then?