July 5, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 AM

Default Tightlines fly shop

Did any of you shop there? I miss my friend Jon. He was the best fishing partner you could have. Never late, always willing to hit a river or pond, morning or night, remote walk in or car top ramp. It didn't matter.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 AM

I would stop in when travelling through Elkins to work in New London or Newbury on Sunapee. I could always count on Jon to share intel or verify whether my observations were correct on the early season or late season Lake-run fishing in the Lakes Region. One time I told him of a specific location with specific conditions having some great fish and he replied "Wow you worked hard to find those fish, don't worry I will not tell anyone and I will not fish there either. You earned that and I did not." He was always willing to show little shortcuts on tying certain patterns using his trusty Nor-Vise. Ever enthusiastic and optimistic. No pretension whatsoever unlike some shops now long gone. A real loss to the fishing community in NH. When I heard he had past at such a young age I was shocked and completely unaware of his health issues. Hopefully he is taking advantage of tightlines and screaming reels. Thanks for making me think of those memories.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL Salmo View Post
I would stop in when travelling through Elkins to work in New London or Newbury on Sunapee. I could always count on Jon to share intel or verify whether my observations were correct on the early season or late season Lake-run fishing in the Lakes Region. One time I told him of a specific location with specific conditions having some great fish and he replied "Wow you worked hard to find those fish, don't worry I will not tell anyone and I will not fish there either. You earned that and I did not." He was always willing to show little shortcuts on tying certain patterns using his trusty Nor-Vise. Ever enthusiastic and optimistic. No pretension whatsoever unlike some shops now long gone. A real loss to the fishing community in NH. When I heard he had past at such a young age I was shocked and completely unaware of his health issues. Hopefully he is taking advantage of tightlines and screaming reels. Thanks for making me think of those memories.
I was very fortunate to have Jon as my "mentor" when it came to fly fishing. At the time I was a 30 something year old that was primarily a spin rod bass fisherman. But my roots were that of a kid who loved walking miles of brooks catching brook trout. I wanted to start brook trout fishing again, and really wanted to catch big brookies. From what I noticed the only way to do that was fly fishing. I became a shop rat almost daily, well at least when he was open.

From there after a few months of bugging him daily he agreed to take me to the sugar river, and the newfound. I caught on quicker then most. My first trout on a fly rod was a 4+ pound rainbow out of the newfound river.

From that point forward I was invested, but didn't have the money to buy "needed" equipment. Jon was kind enough to let me work at the shop for store credit, and sold me stuff from the shop and damn near whole sale prices.

In the winter of 2009 Jon talked me into getting my guides license for fishing. I told him I would if he got his hunting guides license. We both passed and began guiding for moose that fall. I spent the spring, summer and fall of 09 guiding remote ponds in the area and local rivers, and he did the salt water guiding. I did the guiding thing until 2011 when he got very ill and had to go to Pittsburg PA awaiting his transplant.

Your assessment of his personality is spot on. He was just a down to earth guy that was an excellent fisherman. Never arrogant about his knowledge or ability. He actually made sure his shop was not the place you felt like "less" of a fisherman because someones knowledge wasn't that of an "expert" fisherman. I can't tell you how many times a 20 something year old would come in the shop and ask "where are the fish biting and what's working". He'd be as honest as the day is long....... If the fishing was good in the blackwater river and brown buggers is what the fish liked that week, he'd tell them that, and sell them a handful of buggers for 6-7.00. When the kid would leave he'd just tell all of us in the shop " can't charge the kid retail......I'm sure he needs beer money for tonight"

He lived life in the moment, enjoying each simple minute of the day. There's something to be said for a fishing partner that drops what they are doing on a moments notice to hit a pond on a Tuesday evening.

I'm headed for Sky pond shortly, and I'll be throwing a green herron fly first in his memory. Thank you for responding.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:54 PM

Never met him. Sounds like a good man. Thanks for posting.