July 5, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2016, 06:44 PM

Default North Conway

My wife and I are heading up to North Conway on the 28th for a few days of r&r. Obviously I will be visiting North Country Angler. Was wondering if anyone has been on the Ellis or Saco lately and what the conditions are.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:27 PM

I went up on Labor day to go to Fat Biscuit to get my biscuit fix, then dragged the old lady to a nearby small stream. It was low, warm, and nasty. The nights have been colder so the water temp should be fine in the bigger rivers, but there still hasn't been any rain. Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2016, 02:12 PM

I'm thinking of taking a mental health day tomorrow and trying the Saco (probably behind the golf course). I would assume the temps have come down, but are the water levels too low to responsibly fish?

I'd call North Country Anglers but they are closed today.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:11 PM
offshore31

i fished the ffo section of the saco monday below the bridge by north country. lowish water, but was cool. was a beautiful day, had the whole river to myself. had to walk a ways, but finally found fish. broke one off on a log, but got one and had plenty of action. the pool i found was deeper than it looked. not sure of its name, but i called it the tree pool. you can't miss it.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:39 AM

I have plans to stay at Merrill Farms Inn in Conway this weekend and, in my research, I found this report from Orvis. http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report....ocationid=7534 It was last updated on Sept. 22

Let us know how you did.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:51 PM

Fished the Ellis near the dam for about 3 hours. No luck. North Country said midges and black nosed dace were working but not for me. Water is very low, warm and gin clear. Didn't even see one hint of a fish. Checked out the Saco same overall low warm clear.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 AM

Fished the Saco yesterday morning and got nothing all the way down to the eroding sand bank... didn't even see a spooked fish. I stink.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:29 PM
offshore31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall View Post
Fished the Saco yesterday morning and got nothing all the way down to the eroding sand bank... didn't even see a spooked fish. I stink.
Hextall

That's where I went on Monday, and they were real hard to see. They were in the pool with all of the trees in it, well before the cliffs. I didn't see them at first, but they were lying on the bottom, towards the back of the pool, almost under the sunken log. Only way I saw them was because I was wading down river and spooked one. they wanted nymphs and streamers but on the bottom.

Water was plenty cold, so i think they were fine. i suspect there's a spring coming in just above that pool. i didn't really see anything before or after those fish. and i went all the way around the corner of the cliffs down the golf course a little. i do suspect some were real tight against the bank on the far side before the pool where i found the fish. thought i saw some shadows, but couldn't prove it
Old 10-02-2016, 04:05 PM

I fished the Saco, by the Merrill Farm Inn Saturday morning. There was plenty of structure around which fish could hide but got no strikes. Was told the water was very low but it seemed to be cold enough. I studied the area for 15-20 minutes before starting and saw no activity other than acorns hitting the water but I only had time to hit this area.

Oh well, a bad day on the river is better that a good day...almost anywhere.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:24 PM
offshore31

My son went to the area I described yesterday, and like hextall said, nothing. He told me that he ran into a game warden that told him someone had got some fish earlier down river. Winding down?