July 5, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2016, 06:08 PM

Default pond season closes just as fishing starts

Another pond season closes just as the fishing gets good. Nothing tics me off more than the the FFO ponds closing just as the fishing gets started. The water temperature in the ponds in central New Hampshire just got to the mid fifties this weekend and it's over. No logical reason other that F&G dosen't want to deal with it. There is no real inforcement other than us anyway. I called in two poachers last weekend and the nearest co was an hour away. What a backwards idiotic thing this is. I complained to a well known F&G personality and he questioned me about my sportsmanship because I wasn't hunting. So this year, I didn't buy hunting license. They can kiss my a$$ until I retire to place that likes and supports fly fishing.

Last edited by bridgeman; 10-16-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Gerry

I couldn't agree with you more. The designated Wild Trout waters close Labor Day, which is fine. All others (ponds and rivers) are basically put-and-take fisheries so no reason to close the season. The management and enforcement arms of fish and game continue to miss out on opportunities for out of state license sales and tourist dollars.
Unfortunately, this is not a new complaint, but a recurring source of aggravation.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Could not agree more. I have never got a "good" answer on why this is. It makes no sense unless I am missing something. OK then - after the 15th make it fly fishing only,barbless hooks and catch and release.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:34 PM

I agree as well. Don't know why they shut them down as there is little to no spawning going on in most of the ponds. Have hit some ponds in Maine and NH the last couple of weeks and have done nicely. Actually got carpet bombed with trout at a pond in northwest Maine as they aerial stocked it while I was on it. Pretty cool to see. Right now I would love to be able to keep fishing as the Partridge are non existant so far this year. Don't want to get off topic but anyone finding birds anywhere?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:32 PM

Why not try some of the ponds with no closed season, they will be receiving their fall stockings soon if they haven't already.

And normally you've got the 3 rivers, but thats been delayed. I don't see them stocking those anytime soon with the low water though.

https://www.instagram.com/swamptroutnh

Last edited by Redneck_Flashaboo; 10-17-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:09 PM

Make a rule proposal with many signatures and send it to concord NHF&G headquarters. This would be for a specified pond though, not all of them. Better yet, send it to concord and one of the commissioners.

Last edited by BrookieSlayah; 10-17-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:43 AM

Default Did it!

I got a petition with a bunch of signatures and had a meeting with the commissioner about 15 years ago. I was dismissed as an elitist trouble maker and was treated badly. It's all about ATVs and butterflies now. No one really cares about fly fishing and our relatively few license dollars with a couple of exceptions. The flyfishing wing of the let's go fishing program is run by true believers and a few biologist agree with me. Hopefully as these more foward thinkers move into leadership positions things will improve. The politics are difficult with good old boy commissioners running the show.
I have several open stocked ponds that are really small sized lakes in the area. I will be trying those in the next few weeks but the scale of these places makes for tough fly fishing now that the big boat is in the barn for the winter.

Last edited by bridgeman; 10-18-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Gerry

Bridgeman, don't hold your breath waiting for "enlightened leadership" in Concord. The last time we have such an animal was when Lee Perry stopped in for a couple years between running Maine and on his way to retirement in Arizona. Your experience 15 years ago has all to often been the norm when dealing with the political establishment on Hazen Drive. Selling licenses to locals who take their daily limit(s) of hatchery trout is totally their focus. The biologists' do what they can with what they have to work with, but do not make or enforce the rules. Look at the Cold Water Management Plan for Quality Trout (http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fish...old-water.html ) and tell me where this plan is being followed. Anybody (ever) see any results like this in the Delayed Harvest Zones in Greenville or New Boston (even when there was good water flow?) How about Upper Hall Pond where they load it up with huge amounts of tiny brook trout? Or other so-called Quality Trout waters http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fish...t-quality.html ? No,they don't stock more or larger fish. A few of the waters will get an occasional net full of brood stock, but the norm is the same everywhere: large amount of either fingerlings or 1+ year old fish. Look at the past year stocking reports and you will see that the "Quality Trout" waters get generally the same treatment as any other, and often less "quality trout". Compare 2014 results (http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fish...-full-2014.pdf ) Upper Hall with 1,291 1+yr old brook trout (8-9 inches) and Streeter Pond with a total of 7,100 trout, of which 1,000 are 2+ yr old. I don't begrudge Streeter their fish, just don't tell me that Upper Hall (and most others listed as Quality) is managed as a Quality Trout pond, when it isn't. Bottom line: I would be reasonably pleased if they only followed their own management plan, but they don't.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:22 PM

I also agree. It's not only the closing of my favorite trout ponds that I regret but also that I can't fish other places anymore, like fly fishing for salmon from shore at Lake Winni (closes Sept. 30) or the Merrymeeting River (closes Oct. 31). A lot of these places only get good after they close.

I don't see the rationale for all these prohibitions. Why not allow fly fisherman to ply their rather harmless trade, catch&release and barbless hooks. Other states don't seem to have these nonsensical rules ...

Herm
Old 10-23-2016, 11:03 AM

Total agreement with Herm (Manchester Fly Fishing Assn. ...I think). I email F&G every fall asking why the season has to stop. We all should do this. Doubt that anything will change before I kick. MFFA should use their clout and email F&G.