July 5, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2017, 07:38 PM

Default Good spots for southern NH "first day of fishing"

Curious what you would consider one of the best places to go on the first day (4th Saturday in April) of fishing, if you were to be fly fishing and spinner fishing out of a kayak. I was considering Lucas Pond, as this is one of the places my father used to take me when I was a kid, on the first day. It was already a family tradition. Well... .. last year he died.. I want to go out at 3am and get myself lined up and in the water ready to fish. I want to do it properly, so was looking for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance. I live near Strafford, just to give you an idea of travel.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:55 PM

Good fishing in Lucas pond, that's if you can get your kayak past all those people fishing off the launch area.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:22 PM

Yeah, that's why I was thinking of getting there reallllly early in the morning.

Any other thoughts on other places to go that would have less people? Is Stonehouse all stocked up and ready for that day? Also, is it packed? I expect people pretty much no matter where I go, just wanted a good experience with the least amount of hassle this year.

Thanks for your reply
Old 03-05-2017, 09:02 PM

Hot hole and clough pond in concord would both be well stocked on opening day.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookieSlayah View Post
Hot hole and clough pond in concord would both be well stocked on opening day.
Awesome, thanks for this. Have you ever been to Lucas Pond on the first day? If so, how do the amount of people compare? This year will be so much different for me as I was always a shore fisherman, but I want to go to a great place for my first time out on the yak. Lucas was all that stood out, but I have checked a few bathymetry maps on the NH Fish and Game site, and Hot Hole was one that was yelling at me, lol. My dad always said it was a great place....I've never been, but have always been intrigued

Last edited by MrTightLines; 03-06-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:10 AM

Also, how is the fly fishing during opening day? I used to throw mostly in line spinners (Panther Martin), powerbait, worms or red fish eggs. I got into fly fishing majorly last year, and it's really the only way I want to Trout fish now.

If fly fishing is good, I'd love any and all thoughts on flies that are a "must have" for opening day. I want this year to really count, as I'm doing this year specifically all in memory of my father, who passed last year on May 2nd. I just want to have a great day out on this day specifically, so if anyone can help me...that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks all.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTightLines View Post
Awesome, thanks for this. Have you ever been to Lucas Pond on the first day? If so, how do the amount of people compare? This year will be so much different for me as I was always a shore fisherman, but I won't to go to a great place for my first time out on the yak. Lucas was all the stood out, but I have checked a few bathymetry maps on the NH Fish and Game site, and Hot Hole was one that was yelling at me, lol. My dad always said it was a great place....I've never been, but have always been intrigued
If you think Lucas is crowded on opening day, you should see Clough!! Legit circus. Get there early and prepare to fish among many dozens of boats on that small pond. Lots of fish though. Some nice ones too. I'd get there very early, if I were you.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 03-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
If you think Lucas is crowded on opening day, you should see Clough!! Legit circus. Get there early and prepare to fish among many dozens of boats on that small pond. Lots of fish though. Some nice ones too. I'd get there very early, if I were you.
Thanks for popping in Steve!

I used to get to the lakes with my father, as a kid, around 3am - 5am depending on the year. I do know that the earlier we got there, the better our spot. Either way, we would be shoulder to shoulder with other fisherman by dawn's early light.

I'm thinking I should stick to slightly more acreage with my selection. Being in a Kayak, it shouldn't be too bad I hope.

Last edited by MrTightLines; 03-06-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:51 AM

Since I'm attempting to mostly fly fish only on the first day, maybe Stonehouse would be one of my best bets? Not sure how this place is on first day either.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:44 PM

Woolly bugger and various streamers will get them on opening day... They usually aren't very picky