July 5, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 AM

Default Roscoe NY

My wonderful wife got me a full day guided fly fishing trip in Roscoe NY. for fathers day. (Beaverkill Anglers). It includes either 3 person wading, or 2 person drift boat. We plan on being there 3 days and i've never been there so I was hoping I could get some guidance on where to fish for our 2 free days. Thanks for any responses.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 AM

Definitely hit the Beaver Kill and Willowemoc. You'll be close enough to the Delaware Branches as well. I really like "Trout Town, USA". Junction Pool can be fun to fish, but there are usually people there. Just downstream from there is the special regs section that hold some big trout. Streamers worked really well for me in that section a few years back. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM

I have to second the Delaware Branches. It is an extremely challenging place to fish though. If you go, stop by the West Branch Angler in Hancock, NY. They will give you some good tips.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 AM

Thanks for your responses. llama-dude- Could u suggest any streamers? I'm partial to a black nosed dace. Also, llama or twinfish could u reccomend a good place to stay while i'm there? I am considering Creekside Cabins. Thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 05:54 AM

Default Roscoe

Try Baxter House only has six rooms but as added bonus has a fly shop!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 AM

I stayed at the Roscoe Hotel. It was comfortable and affordable. The Beaverkill is right behind the hotel .

But the staff was extremely helpful. I was going to get a license when I got into town, but road work prevented me from getting there until after the fly shop closed. The young lady at the front desk called around and found a place that I could get a license that night, and I was able to go fishing and landed six or seven nice rainbows behind the hotel. I would have lost that opportunity to fish that night without her help. She also showed me a map and told me of other places to go. I remember asking her if she fished, and she laughed and said that she didn't but that so many of the guests did and it was important to help them in that regard.

As far as streamers went, I was using an olive matuka in size 6 for the most part. I also had some success with a gray/white clouser in about an 8. Woolly buggers didn't do so well, but someone did tell me that an all white bugger had worked for them. One thing I do remember is that rubber legs didn't do anything for me there.

Where ever you go though should be a fun time. Enjoy!!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Default Easy Branch Outfitters

Try East Branch Outfitters. Youll love the owners, the advice, the fly tying pointers on their kitchen table and they are right on the East branch.
Depending on the time of year you go, the Beaverkill and Willow can be low and warm. If youre there in the summer, the West Branch is the ticket.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM

the only place i know of would be at the west branch angler. it is an orvis endorsed fly fishing resort. I have never stayed there because I have a friend with a cabin there, but i've been to their fly shop and the resort looks awesome. their cabins are right on the water
Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 AM

How about asking the guides your wife hired (Duh!)
Old 06-20-2012, 01:59 PM

kmudgn,

Thank you for your response. Although your suggestion makes sense its not very practical in my situation since i don't know who (our) guide will be. I have made several inquiries regarding local conditions and lodging. Thanks again.