August 11, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet_fly_action View Post
I'm going to take a different approach on this one. This is merely the result of my experiences, your mileage may vary.
As far as importance, I would say it should go something like this 1. Profile 2. Size 3. Color.
Fish don't see well in bright light, so they will be the most selective in dawn/dusk conditions and on cloudy days.
It's funny how anglers will chant the "match the hatch" mantra, but ask them what their most effective fly is and they will undoubtedly name something impressionistic. I think enticing fish into striking is much more like twitching a string or feather just the right way to make a cat attack it than matching the exact color of an insect.
Another approach (which most authors on the subject will generally admit works) is to carry light, medium, and dark flies in all sizes. I think this is especially effective here in New England where the water is generally more sterile and the fish more opportunistic.
I also can't help but mention that your fly will rarely, if ever be more than 2 meters deep.
Some reading on another, different theory of how fish see: http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/guest/jennings/
Agree 100% Flyfishing is one of those things that it is very easy to overthink. Keep it simple, go with the obvious.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:23 PM

Sorry for the LONG delay in responding. Between my laptop not allowing me to open the forum page off the mountain and being busy at work it is now two weeks later. I first want to thank everyone for all excellent insightful input and links to further reading. I am enjoying working my way through them and learning more. This past off week I grabbed The New Scientific Angling book by Reed Curry and tried to tie some flies with the information in mind. It seemed to pay off as one day I caught a bunch of fish. Thanks again everyone for all the awesome input.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to natefish

You definitely need a fly tying stuff up there. I'll start putting together a bunch of materials
Old 05-17-2012, 04:27 PM

Yup that was a LONG delay !
Shorten up your casting stroke and quit breaking your wrist !!!
10 oclock 1 oclock 10 oclock 1 oclock...and put some more snap into it !!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Wow, whats next Einstein's theory on fish fecal? Does it float or sink to the bottom and how does light effect its color in the water column??? Good god gentlemen, its fishing... finding and fooling something which has a brain the size of your pinky fingernail!
-BT

Last edited by browntrout; 05-19-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to natefish

"gentlemen and gentlewomen" If it were so easy to tell what fish were thinking, there would not be fishing guides, or forums like these...I've met fish that would make Einstein scratch his head...and give up...
Old 05-26-2012, 12:28 PM

I just found this post. BG I like your scientific approach. It's seldom, however, that we fish deeper than 5 meters. In fact, deeper that 2 meters would be a stretch for most of us who love the surface or surface film. Still, the impact of refraction and light aborption is fascinating. Thank you for the brain bender. Keep it up.