December 12, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2005, 11:43 AM

First step is to nominate a good writer....any volunteers?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:44 PM
fessiewig

Obviously none from this thread.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 PM

BC and John,

I am not volunteering to actually write up the petition, as I fear I might be too obtuse in my prose (just kidding John –your previous point is well taken ). However, if any further discussion outside of the forum takes place I would like to be notified. As a newcomer to the state I have quite a bit to learn about the NH way and find this issue as a good opportunity to learn from more Sr. residents of the state.

Regards,
Mike
Old 08-17-2005, 03:13 PM

What's our intent...?

I think PW had a great idea:

On top of everything else, offenders should be ordered to participate in a community service program. This way they give back to the resources they plunder. A program could be established where these violators work on specific projects like river cleanups, river improvements, hatchery work etc... Maybee the department could hire a few volunteers to run the program and oversee the laborers(poachers) on weekends. If something like this was initiated I'd volunteer my time without a doubt.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Site Admin

Send a message via AIM to sbeausol

If it is of interest I can make a form for those interested that will fill out your detailed info along with a letter stating the intentions we wish F & G to hear. One could print/mail or email it...

let me know-

Sean
Old 08-18-2005, 09:57 AM
fessiewig

Sounds great, Sean. How about a letter expressing our concerns and asking for a meeting where we can discuss possible ways we can be involved in solutions.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:25 AM

I would think that there would be a law on the books prohiting the sale of these fish. Why not go to the resteraunts that are buying those fish, and start fineing the restraunt owners. If there was no demand then the need for at least some of the poaching may disappear. If the chef or owner can not prove that his fish are being purchased from a reputable fish wholesaler then that would also bring into play the department of health.

Just my 2 cents.
Bill
Old 08-19-2005, 10:46 AM
fessiewig

Good thought, sargie.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Laws

2005 NH Freshwater Fishing Digest.
Page 14, first item:
"The sale of freshwater fish is prohibited."

The above would apply to sale by the poacher to the restaurant, market, etc, and also the sale to the public by such restaurant, etc.
As is often the case, no new laws are needed, just the enforcement of existing law. I'm not familiar with the health codes in NH, but I'll bet that there are laws on the books that would also address this issue. As a public health issue, I woild think that this would be considered a much more serious offense than poaching, and is likely the way to go after the offenders.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:31 PM

A simple write up about this incident in the local paper would shut this place down....

If they're trying to cut costs with domestic fish it's only natural to wonder if they may be using domestic housepets as well...

Ruff......Rufff

Meow....