August 23, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Relocating to Manchester, NH Trout Fishing Help?

My family and I are excited to be relocating to Manchester, NH within 8 weeks. We are moving up from Delaware (hate it here) but before that lived in Northern PA. I love to fly fish for trout and hunt for grouse.....

Can you give me your recommedations on areas to live that have good schools and are closer to some fishing. We prefer to live in a rural area with some acreage. Thank you in advance.....

Allen
Old 08-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Banned

I take it your job brings you to "Manchester". How far are you willing to drive to get to work? There are some very nice areas around Manchester. I'm thinking almost anywhere from south west to north west will give you some rural living options. I don't know about the grouse hunting in that area, but if you head north you'll get into some excellent grouse hunting. Fishing in that area can be really good, especially in the spring / early summer.

Provide us with a drive radius and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 AM

"Can you give me your recommedations on areas to live that have good schools and are closer to some fishing. We prefer to live in a rural area with some acreage. Thank you in advance..... "

Unfortunately, due to the large scale development that has taken place your hopes for rural living are out the window. So many people have done what you've done and relocated that there's no more undeveloped land in the area and property taxes have sky rocketed. I hate to say this, but it's the truth. Don't expect anything rural in the area anymore, those days are as gone as The Old Man of The Mountain.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Banned

I'm afraid my friend Bugchucka is a bit over reactive. In comparison to where you are I think you'll find some rather "rural" areas within 30 minutes of Manchester. Now, the trick is to match up all the qualifiers and find a spot that fits them all.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:28 AM

I agree that there are plenty of "rural" areas within one-half hour of Manchester. No, you won't find "rural" like Baxter State Park rural, but my brother lives in Chester which is only about 20 minutes from Manchester and it's still mostly rural. Candia is another town that has maintained much of it's rural character. West of 93, there are towns as well such as New Boston, Fitzwilliam, etc.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:05 AM

If being sick and tired of excessive development and property taxes makes me some crazy radical local LOL.....than so be it... but southern NH is not rural!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 AM

I have to agree with Bugchucka. There are few rural towns left in S. NH. Most of the towns such as New Boston, Bedford, etc. are "exurban" i.e., "a region or settlement that lies outside a city and usually beyond its suburbs and that often is inhabited chiefly by well-to-do families".(Merriam-Webster Online)

Few small NH towns within commuting distance of a major center are rural in character, i.e., "of or relating to the country, country people or life, or agriculture"(Merriam-Webster Online). I lived for 15 years in Temple (pop. 1300) which has only one working farm left and probably 70%+ of the working population work outside the town, many commuting 1+ hours. Hardly rural.

Best regards,
Reed
www.overmywaders.com
Old 08-09-2005, 12:10 PM

I didn't mean to strike a nerve....

I will be working on the West end of the city. I am fine with a 30-40 minute drive as long as it is not congested like the area that I am leaving. We looked in Candia, Deerfield and Chester and they are very nice. We also looked in Bow, Weare, etc. and liked that area too....I don't know about the schools in these areas? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Allen
Old 08-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Banned

Context, gentlemen, context! Remember where Allen is coming from. Rural does not mean the same thing to everyone. And, no Allen, you didn't hit a nerve, just folks who don't want to mislead anyone. It's true, we've lost a lot of farms and "rural" atmosphere here in New Hampshire, at least from our perspective. But for folks coming here from other parts of the country, like yourself, we still have a "rural" environment. Some of us have been living here in New Hampshire and have seen many changes over the last 30 years especially. All of us, and after you move here you will joins us, wish the change to stop and we could keep our treasure at least the way it is now. But deep down we all know change and development will continue. Allen, the faster you get here the faster you'll become our friend. WELCOME!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:34 PM

Hillsborough County:

1990 population 335,838

2004 population 398,574

62,736 increase....