November 18, 2019

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 PM

Default hex patterns

Hi i was on a local lake and saw some hexes coming off, I gathered one of the bugs to replicate it at the vise. I have used the wood duck heron fly with somewhat mixed results. One thing that stuck out to me was the short wings and the angle they were. Does anyone tie a realistic hex pattern?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to skilly
Default Hexes

How many talis? Profile, Sky or Echo?

Skilly
Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 AM

two, i hvent fished profile in a very long time. I see them a lot at the lake i swim in, and other local ponds in the north country..
Old 08-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilly View Post
How many talis? Profile, Sky or Echo?

Skilly
Skilly, i first started flyfishing at profile lake, i remmeber telling people who were fishing there seemed to be two size same color mayflys hatching, the really large hex and a 2/3 version? Im curious about your query on how many tails? Are there several subspecies?

One thing i used to notice is that along a hex hatch there would be a smaller mayfly size 16, and a caddis ..Suprisingly i could fool larger fish by switching to those smaller bugs if they were not hitting the large hexegenia limbatas..

Thanks for any info in advance..
Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Also not fished in 30 years. I remember long ago in mid June, you could set your watch by the first rise you saw in the evening at Echo Lake from a modest hatch of a modest size may fly. During the same period, occasionally there would be a snow storm of a hatch of a huge Mayfly. Are these the two you are talking about?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 AM

To answer your question about a pattern, try this one.

Hook: Daiichi 1270 Size#8
Thread: Brown
Tail: Wood Duck Flank
Body: Cream Rabbit Dubbing
Rib: Light Cream Floss
Back: Turkey Tail Fibers
Wing: Wood Duck (Tied in as a loop wing)
Legs/Throat: Dyed Brown Mottled Hen

When you fish this one just grease the loop wing,nothing esle. That way it should float in the film with the body hanging down. You may have fool around with body color to match the body of water you are fishing. This pattern was taken from Selene Dumaine's site. The only modification I have made is the throat. She calls for "small dark under feather from wood duckoften attached to base of wood duck flank feathers". She calls this "Hexamongous".
Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Default Hexes

Fishingdaddy,
The reason I asked, is there is some confusion between the hex and the drake may flies.
All hexes, the Limbata and the Litrobrancha have two tails. All drake may flies have three tails. Obviously, their size is an identifier, but there are drakes that are big, also. So the easiest way to tell them apart is with the # of tails.
Every year I gather up the hexes that I'm able to capture and bring them home to indentify. I use Caucci and Nastassi , " Instant May Fly Identification Book". You can also refer to " Hatches I and II". These are great references to identifying nymphs and may flies.
I have been fishing Echo, Profile and Sky for many years. The hex hatch there is the Limbata.
Now over the last several years while fishing Archery Pond, I discovered that a hex hatch comes off in May and early June. This is the Recurvata Litobrancha. It is a bit smaller than the Limbata and darker. Everyone thinks it is the Green Drake, Dark Drake. It isn't. Most think I crazy but I have brought may of the hexes home. I have a couple of photos I 'll post.
And yes there are other hatches that come off with the hex at Sky, profile and Echo ,but most fish will take the hex. I use the Woodduck with either a white, grey, or Chartruese collar tied soft hackle style. I will also post one of the woodducks. I fish them dry and wet just under the surface imitating the emerging hex nymph. I goop them up with the Loon Floatant, dry it it well and use this fly as both dry and wet. I strip it just under the surface, stop the strip and the fly will come back up to the surface as dry hex. Works great.
Sorry for the long reply.
Skilly
Old 08-07-2009, 02:33 PM

Default Hexes from Archery Pond

The recruvata litobrancha hex from Archery Pond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hex 014.jpg (93.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg hex 012.jpg (49.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 PM

Skilly, dont apologize LOL, i loved your willingness to share info. I ask a lot of questions but my past frustrations have been that i got answers that i knew were not right. I was told once that there no rainbows in sky pond,, if i told you who told me you would chuckle .. LOL Apparently they either fished a different section or different time because when i fished thats mainly what i caught. A close freind told me once when I was asking about what mayfly i was seeing that mayflys didnt hatch on lakes, ponds only calibaetis.

Owls roost, nice looking pattern. I ended up tying some that were dubbed with a al caucci blend, i used light brown thread to rib , and a woodudck wing tyed down wing style. I really like the loop wing tye when fishing as i have had some pretty good luck with them..

One thing i recall about fishing profile lake was i was done fishing for the night, and was talking to a guy that fished there a lot and was dragging my fly in about 6 inches of water right near the shore. I ended up catching one of the biggest of the night over 16 inches long.. I sure do miss fishing that lake, although the year I moved from lincoln the fishing had seemed to decline, wonder how it is now?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 PM

Tie some compardun style and just put a little floatant on the wing. Tie a split tail and grease that too. Th deer hair makes a great wing profile and it will sit nicely in the film for you.