July 2, 2020

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 02:23 PM

Default Fishing Line

Hello again everyone. Once again I am trying to learn. I just picked up a new 6wt Ross Evolution LT reel that I am putting on my Orvis 9' rod. If I am fishing ponds or small lakes and targeting trout should I get a full sink line or a sink tip line? I already have a reel with floating line on it for surface stuff. I guess my hope is for summertime use with this with streamers? Can you give me some suggestions with this please. Thank you
Old 04-17-2015, 02:52 PM

Yes, you definitely should if you plan on doing a lot of still water fishing.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbp View Post
Hello again everyone. Once again I am trying to learn. I just picked up a new 6wt Ross Evolution LT reel that I am putting on my Orvis 9' rod. If I am fishing ponds or small lakes and targeting trout should I get a full sink line or a sink tip line? I already have a reel with floating line on it for surface stuff. I guess my hope is for summertime use with this with streamers? Can you give me some suggestions with this please. Thank you
Check out the Airflo Sixth Sense Sinking Line, I am a huge Airflo fan they have some really innovative technologies
Old 04-18-2015, 08:58 PM

Depends on how deep you want to get down. Full sink lines are good if you want to try and get down in the 20' range.... problem with that is you're going to be waiting a while for the fly to get down that deep.

What I do is use the 15' Rio sink tips, I get them in all the available sink rates, I usually get them a line size heavier too, that way it loads a little faster, kinda like a shooting head... sorta. This generally always works for me but in case I want to get down REAL deep I'll buy a full sink line in the fastest sink rate I can find, usually a type VII... now instead of blowing hundreds of bucks on 5 or 6 different lines and different spools for your reel you'll have 2 spools and the convenience of being able to switch sink rates faster because now you just practically are changing leaders and not lines.

Just my two cents.

Sean
Old 04-19-2015, 11:50 AM

Default Sink tips suck to cast

There are definitely advantages to sink tips and shooting head systems. I think they cast like poo. I can't get a tight loop and distance casting suffers. That being said, I own 5,7 and 9 weight sink tips and use them when I need to for the proper presentation. I much prefer a 6 or 7 IPS density compensated full sinking line for pond fishing. It keeps the fly in the strike zone longer and cast like a rocket because of the smaller diameter of this type of line.
Sink tips also don't tangle in your legs in a float tube. I shouldn't really deprive other fishermen the comic relief of me paddling to shore with my hands because my legs are hog tied. There's nothing like a fat man swearing and splashing to shore wrapped up in a thousand bucks of fishing gear to make folks laugh.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:50 PM

I wouldn't get too worried about all the downsides of sink tips... they do exactly what they are designed to do, and there isn't any other way to do it, so you'll just learn to deal with it. I use them a lot on rivers as well. full sink lines are 100 times worse to fish with than sink tips. Unless you're trolling.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Well at least you are starting out with a super nice reel. One of my favorites.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:04 AM

Those Rio lines..are they the Sinking leaders? I have thought about trying them .do they sell them in lengths less than 15' ? Also I read they have an exposed mono core for changining tippetts. Can they be used once all of that core is used up?
Any info is appreciated.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:03 AM

Love my sink-tip lines! I have a bunch including a Teeny Mini-Tip 7 wt (5 ft sink tip), a Rio 150 gr (24 ft sink tip), a Teeny 300 gr (24 ft sink tip) and a Teeny 450 gr (30 ft sink tip). All are high-density, fast sinking tips.

I think they cast just fine with the right rod. I've caught more (and bigger) fish on these lines, by far, than all of my floating lines.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"